X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssj335
    Experienced
    • Jul 13 2018

Vented Window Blows Shut

Hey! The black rubber molding along the top of my window frame is a bit worn. It causes the driver side vented window to blow shut once get to about 25 mph. This is brutal in the heat without A/C and I have to try to drive one handed and hold the window in place with my left hand. lol. Not fun.

Any good tricks anybody has used to reinforce that molding without buying a brand new set? Maybe some black masking tape or something like that? DIY kinda stuff. Would like to save money on small things like this.

If I had to replace the black rubber molding it looks like $100 (for a set) plus the cost of having it installed. Unless that's a DIY sorta thing I could do.

Could be wrong but guessing it is this part right here:

https://www.larrystbird.com/product/vent-window-seal-5860/
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's not the weatherstrip that keeps the window open. It's the top pivot point. If you look at the top of the vent window frame there's a small hole. If memory serves me correct there is an allen screw (1/16" possibly?) in there. You may be able to tighten the window by tightening that screw.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

John is correct. There is a top set screw that when you tighten it, it will create enough friction to keep the vent wing open.
      Nyles

Comment

• ssj335
        Experienced
        • Jul 13 2018

You guys are life savers! I am going to look for this screw. So much better than messing with the rubber. Glad I asked.

Is this located on the interior of the window? I would access it from inside? If I look around I can probably find it but always easier to ask.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Open the door and look on the top of the vent window frame.

John

Comment

• ssj335
            Experienced
            • Jul 13 2018

Copy that!

Originally posted by jopizz
            Open the door and look on the top of the vent window frame.

John

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There are multiple screws and holes in the top of the frame. I believe it's the 2nd from the front edge.

John

Comment

• ssj335
                Experienced
                • Jul 13 2018

Thank you for the clarification! =)

Comment

• ssj335
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 13 2018

I found the issue - there's no screw at all in that slot! It's just empty. Have to find one that'll fit. Shouldn't be too hard hopefully just standard size.

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Look for an 8-32 screw about 1/2" in length. The type of head doesn't really matter. You should be able to find one at Lowes or Home Depot.

John

Comment

• Deanj
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Nov 26 2015

You might want to match it with and to the other side. I replaced mine with a Philips head screw from a spare vent window. It seems the Allen head have a tendency to get rounded out.

Dean

I see John has the dimensions.
                      Last edited by Deanj; August 28, 2018, 06:08 PM. Reason: Follow up

Comment

• ssj335
                        Experienced
                        • Jul 13 2018

Fabulous ideas! Thanks very much.

Comment

• KENN
                          Experienced
                          • Aug 6 2015

Does That Allen Screw Just Come Out From The Top? I Have One That Wont Stay Open Even After Tightening The Screw..kenn
                          WHITE 60 HARDTOP AND 54 FORD SEDAN CUSTOMLINE TBIRD REGISTRY #61860 920-286-2277

Comment

• Tbird1044
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jul 31 2012

Kenn:
                            From what I remember, the top post of the vent assembly, where the set screw goes into, is a split post with an internal "tapered" thread. When you tighten the set screw, it causes the post to expand causing friction to hold the window open. There is a small nylon bushing, in the frame, that the post rides in. If this bushing is broken or missing, the window will never get tight. I found this out when I forgot to install the bushing. Part of the problem is I have never found a listing or replacement number for this bushing. You can see the bushing listed as part number 22960 on attached photo.
                            Searching around on Google I was able to find a listing for the bushing, but it is for a Ford truck. They used to put the bushing on the lower post instead of the upper. You had to remove the entire vent assembly from the car to change it. I have no idea if it is the same bushing, but it does show up with the same part number.
                            Nyles
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Tbird1044; August 29, 2018, 03:18 AM.

Comment

• ssj335
                              Experienced
                              • Jul 13 2018

I sure hope I am not missing that bushing!

BTW - is it conceivable that missing this screw could be causing my leak? When it rains water drips from above the vented window on driver's side. Exactly where this screw is absent.

UPDATE - went to Ace Hardware and picked up some replacement candidates. A bigger store like Home Depot will have more options if these don't work.

The silver screw on the left is the original screw. Second from the left was the closest I could find. And I got some extras just in case. B/c I dont wanna go back and forth to the store doing trial and error.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎