Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robert Wadman
    • Dec 2 2013

Transmission leak at the filler pipe.

I'm restoring a 1959 Thunderbird 430 Convertible. I have a transmission leak at the connection where the filler pipe connects to the transmission pan. Is there an "O" ring that fits this connection point? Is the treaded nut, that surround the filler pipe at the transmission pan, all that is needed to secure the filler pipe the transmission pan?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Tighten the nut and see if it is loose. I think you have a simple compression fitting but I might be wrong. You will know after you tighten the nut.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• partsetal
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 4 2005

Dave is right, it is a simple compression fitting. Be careful not to overtighten it, as it will crack the weld of the fitting to the pan. I've done this but I had an extra pan. On the new pan, I was able to select an "O" ring that I inserted into the fitting to prevent overtightening and any leaks. It's working fine at present but I haven't put any miles on the car.
      Carl

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

It's been a while since I fixed mine, but if I recall, the end of the trans tube has a flared fitting, very much like a gas line.
        What I found with mine was that the tube actually cracked. I removed the tube, cleaned it, and soldered the cracked area. When reinstalling, be sure there is not any strain on the tube and the support bracket to the rear of the engine is in place.
        Nyles

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎