X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1960Bird
    Experienced
    • Dec 4 2002

C-6 Transmission

Have any of you ever installed a C-6 in a Squarebird. If so, what is involved.

Thanks
    Steve
    390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Doing it right now!

I'm doing the C-6 right now, and it's pretty straightforward, so far. I have a '60 crossmember and a '67 crossmember..tomorrow I will bolt the '60 crossmember under the C-6 without a mount, and measure the geometry required to cannabilize the '67 and weld it into the '60 for the proper connection to the C-6. You have to also use the block spacer which was mounted between FE's and the C-6 from later models. I've used a new 67 C-6 torque converter, flywheel and starter.
    Outside of this, there arte some linkage mds that must be accomplished, and there is some documentation here on Squarebirds that show it, but I have not gotten there yet. I'll post again after I've jumped through that hoop.
    John
    Last edited by Guest; March 5, 2010, 12:50 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

I have a C6 in my car, but it is attached to a 460.

It was like this when I got the car.
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• protourbird
        Experienced
        • Apr 29 2008

I put an AOD in my 60 and it's a pretty straight forward swap but you have to buy the unit from Performance Automatic in Baltimore and could get a little pricey but it sure makes cruising nice.
        sigpic
        Jim

protourbird

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

So now, this thing bolts up?
          I think you told me the particulars before. What are the basic mods?
          Prob no more than running a C6? My cruise-o-anchor is still working pretty good, but I'm not going to run it if (when ) it fails.

Oh and how much are those headers?

Comment

Well, as it turns out, the information here regarding the fabrication of a crossmember to install a C-6 was incorrect for a 1960. It was much easier than expected, and easier to fabricate from scratch than to cannibalize two stock members. I used a flat 3/8" thick 20 1/2" x 6" steel plate and a stock C-6 Transmission mount, and welded the parking brake standoffs to it. I will be posting some pictures as soon as my membership renews, (just paid it again tonight). It's easy...

Comment

You have to change the flywheel, starter and torque converter, install a block spacer plate behind the flywheel, use the C-6 lower bellhousing dust cover, fabricate a crossmember (easy, pictures are coming)....but actually, the research took longer than the work..pretty simple stuff.

Comment

i put a c6 in mine about 5 years ago. Used the existing crossmember, just moved it back a few inches and drilled new holes into the floorboard. I cut and welded the trans mount to match the new dimensions of the c6. I needed a new converter, flywheel, starter and had to make some minor adjustments to the e-brake placement.

I got the flywheel from Advance using a 67 f150 as a reference.

Very easy to convert.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎