Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidmij
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 17 2011

A quick update for anyone still reading. My resistor is "in crook". Those New Zealand boys know their stuff!

I went through the manual and did some of the troubleshooting. As Scumdog suggested the resistor is a complete "open". Manual says it should read 1.3 - 1.4 ohms.
    Naturally they suggest replacing it. I'm gonna find one and try this asap. If it burns out (or whatever) again then I'll have to go from there.

thx, dave J

Comment

• scumdog
      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Oops...

Originally posted by davidmij
      A quick update for anyone still reading. My resistor is "in crook". Those New Zealand boys know their stuff!

I went through the manual and did some of the troubleshooting. As Scumdog suggested the resistor is a complete "open". Manual says it should read 1.3 - 1.4 ohms.
      Naturally they suggest replacing it. I'm gonna find one and try this asap. If it burns out (or whatever) again then I'll have to go from there.

thx, dave J
      Oops, sorry Dave, I put you crook - it should by "is crook" - my typo mistake.

In NZ anything not well or not correct can be described as 'crook' i.e. He's crook from drinking too many bourbons' or 'Daves resistor is crook' etc.

But glad you've found your problem, finger crossed it's one of those 'cheap fixes' you get from time-to-time - as opposed to any fix costing more than $10!!
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• davidmij
        Super-Experienced
        • Jan 17 2011

Thx again Tom!
        She isn't "crook" anymore, I put in the new resistor and she fired right up. I have some cheap straight flow exhaust on it that are old and rusted and it really rumbled the neighborhood. A 6 year neighbor kid road his bike by, stopped, and said, "fine runner". Made me smile.
        If you like hunting, fishing, and Harleys you'd love it here in Northern New Mexico. It's pretty popular on all accounts. I see a herd of elk almost every morning on my way to work.
        I imagine NZ is amazing though, always wanted to check it out.

Alrighty then. I gotta put the brakes back on, do some tuning, and I'll be close to finally going for a spin. Can't wait to run it through all 4 gears! Here's a recent picture without the hood on. Pie crust cheater slicks, a BB ford, and a 4 speed - life is good.
        Attached Files

Comment

• davidmij
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 17 2011

Ey yi yi, Well, I went home today and tried to start it up, but it acts like the battery is completely dead. I checked the head lights and they come on. So I put the volt meter on the battery and it shows 12.8 volts. Guess it's time to (once again) start troubleshooting per the manual.
          I'm starting to think something is crook in my wiring.

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

Love the firewood jack stands.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by KULTULZ
              Thanx Ray!

Actually, the dress-up photo is to show the heat source tube for the choke. Best I have for an FE.

The block-off cap is to be used if one goes to an electric choke and needs to block the resultant vacuum leak.
              Here is a better photo of an exhaust manifold choke stove. It is a 462 LINC but is almost similar in appearance and operation-

The tube shown on the left is the fresh air inlet. It draws fresh air from the air cleaner or in some variations, there is actually a screen within the exhaust manifold stove casting (can be serviced).

The tube on the right draws heated air from the choke stove (via engine vacuum) to the choke housing. The insulation you see keeps from being burnt and is available for service.

I hope this photo makes the system more understandable.

Comment

• scumdog
                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by KULTULZ
                The insulation you see keeps from being burnt and is available for service.
                And to make sure the air is still plenty hot when it gets to the choke.
                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• davidmij
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jan 17 2011

Thx gents, that looks like mine with the asbestos sleeve for insulation. I capped the fresh air intake. I actually found some old pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014928...IzpxazQnbj8uAE

Still troubleshooting the electrical now. I've eliminated the starter relay. I had thought that was it because it doesn't even make a click. Next is the starter. I'm going to try to check some voltages there.

thx, Dave

Comment

• davidmij
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jan 17 2011

Ah ha, I found a guy on line that said sometimes your starter will get stuck when it gets hot - try tapping it with a hammer. I did and it worked!
                    Anyway, put the brakes back together real quick and took her for a spin!
                    Now I need to do a lot of tuning, tweaking, and adjusting.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎