Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I guess there are some other remedies that might get rid of the mice. I have lots of cats around so I've never had that problem.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

'62 Convertible Top Problems

Some have used Bounce sheets that you put in your dryer. Try putting one on each of the four floor boards. Supposedly, mice do not like the smell and will leave. I don't know how often you would have to replace them though. Perhaps when there is no more smell from them.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Larry Jones
        Experienced
        • Feb 3 2009

cracked support s for the top

Originally posted by Larry Jones
        Goodmorning John. The mechanic asked me if I wanted to put the top up. I replied no. He saw some mice evidence under the trunk area plus the front seat. I have used moth balls for the front and back seat area. Any better suggestions for the car short of a cat. Larry
        The mechanic indicated that I had a crack on each support of the base that supports the top. My wife took some pictures Is there a spectic word for this support that you no off. I might have to send you some pictures. Alot of items were out of adjustments like the lock screw bar on each side. Plus the heavy cable was binding against the trunk lid to catch into the locking holes. Thanks Larry ps about 420.00 bucks. At least I can depend on this person to fix it next time.

Comment

• Larry Jones
          Experienced
          • Feb 3 2009

Originally posted by YellowRose
          Some have used Bounce sheets that you put in your dryer. Try putting one on each of the four floor boards. Supposedly, mice do not like the smell and will leave. I don't know how often you would have to replace them though. Perhaps when there is no more smell from them.
          thank you Ray I will use them in conjunction with the moth balls and the irish spring . Gee I will have the sweetest smelling tbird. Larry

Comment

• Larry Jones
            Experienced
            • Feb 3 2009

The mechanic indicated that I had a crack on each support of the base that supports the top. My wife took some pictures Is there a spectic word for this support that you no off. I might have to send you some pictures. Alot of items were out of adjustments like the lock screw bar on each side. Plus the heavy cable was binding against the trunk lid to catch into the locking holes. Thanks Larry ps about 420.00 bucks. At least I can depend on this person to fix it next time.
            Can you tell me what the two support brackets one on each side that supports the top as it goes up.T he cracks were in the middle of the support arms it appears to be made out of cast iron. Larry

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm not sure what bracket you mean. I could tell you what it's called if I could see a picture. If it's the large one that sits on the quarter panel it called a rear rail. If it's the one that goes up behind the quarter window it's called the intermediate rail. I've seen people try and weld them with mixed results.

John

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
                Experienced
                • Jan 5 2008

Goodmorning John. The mechanic asked me if I wanted to put the top up. I replied no.
                So, what was the point of over 100 posts and trying to go through all this if you didn't attempt to raise the top while it was in the hands of an apparently competent person?

Larry, you have repair and assembly manuals - the individual parts for the top are identified in them. Pull out the manuals, figure out what the parts are named and let us know so that the rest of us can have a point of reference and be able to "speak the same language."
                Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
                Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
                Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

I agree, Alan. Anyone searchking for convertible top help and happens upon this thread, won't know any more after reading 113 posts, than he did from the start.

Larry never mentioned his Ford manuals, he reluctantly posted pictures, and he failed to mention the wide gaps in his deck lid (which should have been aligned first). I found out about them on the VTCI site.

We did hear about how the last mechanic burned up a relay and caused other damage, but Larry didn't say any relays were replaced by the new mechanic. Does Larry really know where his 50-amp breaker and power top relay are? You told him where to look.

Thank God Larry brought his car to a competent mechanic. I hope Larry takes lots of pictures, learns everything he can from him, and regards the cost as tuition. If not, perhaps another $430 charge may be in his future. - Dave
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Larry Jones
                    Experienced
                    • Feb 3 2009

Can you tell me what the two support brackets one on each side that supports the top as it goes up.T he cracks were in the middle of the support arms it appears to be made out of cast iron. Larry
                    Hi John. I have to wait for my brother to come over to help support the top when I raise it again. I think it the one connected to the window with a thick base to it. Would you no if it is steel or cast iron. Larry

Comment

• Larry Jones
                      Experienced
                      • Feb 3 2009

Originally posted by Alan H. Tast, AIA
                      So, what was the point of over 100 posts and trying to go through all this if you didn't attempt to raise the top while it was in the hands of an apparently competent person?

Larry, you have repair and assembly manuals - the individual parts for the top are identified in them. Pull out the manuals, figure out what the parts are named and let us know so that the rest of us can have a point of reference and be able to "speak the same language."
                      at times I dont collect all my thoughts its difficult for me to put them into words.I beleive your referring to the second mechanic which is a restoration expert. I did try to raise the top in front of them but to no avail.I didnt understand those remarks you made about why I didnt make a attempt to raise the top. Why wouldt I have. Larry

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm pretty sure the top frame is cast iron except for the front header. If the main supports are cracked all the way through it's probably not a good idea to raise the top without help.

John

Comment

• Larry Jones
                          Experienced
                          • Feb 3 2009

Originally posted by jopizz
                          I'm pretty sure the top frame is cast iron except for the front header. If the main supports are cracked all the way through it's probably not a good idea to raise the top without help.

John
                          Thanks again John. From here on in its going to be pictures. Larry

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
                            Experienced
                            • Jan 5 2008

Convertible top castings are either made of aluminum or magnesium, more than likely aluminum. Place a magnet against the casting to confirm - if it attracts to the casting, there is ferrous metal, i.e. iron, in it.

As for top operation, will the restoration shop attempt to get it working?
                            Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
                            Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
                            Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• Larry Jones
                              Experienced
                              • Feb 3 2009

Originally posted by Alan H. Tast, AIA
                              Convertible top castings are either made of aluminum or magnesium, more than likely aluminum. Place a magnet against the casting to confirm - if it attracts to the casting, there is ferrous metal, i.e. iron, in it.

As for top operation, will the restoration shop attempt to get it working?
                              Good morning to you Mr.Tast. Yes to your question. There very good as a restoration shop and reasonable. They no this mechanism like the back of there hand. Again I would like to thank John from this website again this was all very hard for me too understand. I did learn how to jump switches from John. Thank you also for your follow up also . Larry

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎