X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbirdmike63
    Experienced
    • May 4 2017

Alternator bolt stuck

Hey everyone, I'm trying to get my original alternator off, the top bolt is frozen in the head, I've tried pb blaster, but since the bolt is covered by the spacer I don't think it's getting to where it should be, any tricks to getting the bolt out without breaking it? Thanks!
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

After letting the WD-40 type stuff soak overnight, I like a pipe type extension on the ratchet. You might even try heat on the bolt and apply the 3 foot extension of a floor jack handle on your ratchet.

Dean

Comment

• tbirdmike63
      Experienced
      • May 4 2017

Really, that much force, what are the chances of the bolt snapping in the head?

Comment

• Joe Johnston
        Super-Experienced
        • Dec 23 2008

If you snap the head off you can then remove the alt and get a pipe wrench or vice grip on the broken bolt with penetrating oil on the threads at the block. I have often found the bolts are corroded solid to the aluminum spacers or alt itself and are not seized into the iron block.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
          Experienced
          • May 4 2017

When I loosen the bottom bolt the alternator swivels, back and forth, so it seems the bolt is not seized to the spacer or alternator itself, but seized in the head, so I'm afraid of it snapping flush to the head.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
            Experienced
            • May 4 2017

After thinking about it, if the alt. Swivels then it could be seized in the spacer, I hope it is and not the head.

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Just watch the head of the bolt. If it moves when you swivel the alternator then it's the spacer. If not then it's the bolt.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Yadkin
                Banned
                • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by Joe Johnston
                I have often found the bolts are corroded solid to the aluminum spacers or alt itself and are not seized into the iron block.
                This. I've managed to remove the long bolt from the block only to have it fight me for another 20 minutes or so to come out of the alternator.

Heat the block with a torch then ice down the alternator/ spacer.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                  Experienced
                  • May 4 2017

Will a propane torch be hot enough?

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                    Experienced
                    • May 4 2017

I got it off, I had to cut through the alternator and bolt. Now, i want to replace my 3 belts, it looks complicated, the work shop manual is no help, is there an easy way to find out how to replace the engine belts? Thanks!

Comment

• Yadkin
                      Banned
                      • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by tbirdmike63
                      I got it off, I had to cut through the alternator and bolt. Now, i want to replace my 3 belts, it looks complicated, the work shop manual is no help, is there an easy way to find out how to replace the engine belts? Thanks!
                      Take pictures before you start. Start with the outside belt, find the corresponding accessory that has an adjuster and take the tension off, then remove the belt. Proceed to the second, then the third. Use the opposite sequence to reinstall.

Comment

• Yadkin
                        Banned
                        • Aug 11 2012

Will a propane torch be hot enough?
                        Yes. Heat the casting, not the bolt.

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

As the shop manual says to remove the compressor belt loosen the idler pulley. It can't be much easier than that. To change the power steering pump belt loosen the bolts in the front (I think there are three) and one in the back. There aren't any shortcuts; it is what it is.

John
                          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                            Experienced
                            • May 4 2017

Ok, I got the power steering loose, that one was easy. I am trying to loosen the idler for the compressor belt, I sprayed the idler adjusting bolt with pb blaster, when I tried to loosen it, it didn't feel right and I couldn't see the a backside of the bolt turning, so I was afraid it was going to snap, so I soaked it with blaster and I will wait till tomorrow to proceed, if I attempt to use heat, should I heat up the back of the bolt and not the head? Thanks!

Comment

• Yadkin
                              Banned
                              • Aug 11 2012

When you heat up metal it increases in size, so you heat up the hole and freeze the bolt.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎