Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

T-bird Gone Wild

Just thought everyone would be interested in seeing this:

RE: T-bird Gone Wild

Looks like they started with a pretty nice convt. Interesting that they mated it with a 540. Can anyone tell did they put the tBird skin on the BMW, or just the motor? I can tell you that my TBird is way longer and bigger than my BMW. And the BMW does not have a full frame, so.... seems like an awful lot of work.

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

That is interesting. It is not really my taste.

It seems to be for trailering only as there is no place to put a license plate on the fornt or the rear.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

>That is interesting. It is not really my taste.

I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

• peeeot
          Experienced
          • Oct 23 2005

Mine is a mixed reaction. Some aspects of it are awkwardly done. I don't really like the seats and interior, generally. But the view in the first couple of pictures looks sharp to me.

I'm really tired of the giant chrome wheel look everyone likes so much these days. They're almost always overwrought and tacky.

Comment

• frank58
            Super-Experienced
            • May 28 2006

Naw............ I don't care for that kind of thing. I love the 'birds for what they are.
            I also thought "wow" when I saw the first 2 pics... but it was downhill from there for me.

Comment

• byersmtrco
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 28 2004

Yep . . . They went too far . . . I'm sure it's nicely done . . .

About as far as i could go is a custom paint job . . . And maybe wheels & tires. I too HATE this 20" . . . 22" . . . with these pinner
              tires. I do like the black 60 convertible on this sight (and the yellow 58) with the 17's. Those are nice wheels. On that note, I did notice tonight my L/R tire is low. So, I'm about done with these stupid KH wires. Sealed they leak. The tubes seem to leak.
              Where did you guys get those 17's?????

I might get those Amer/Racing 16's Torque Thrust. Kind of "old school" and I can still run some meat on there. I just don't know.
              I am open to suggestions.

Comment

I am running the 16 torque's, do like the look, although the 17's look real sweet.

here is a pic of my 59' with 16 torque's.

if you look at the other's with 17's, you can see how they fill the wheel well better.

Comment

I guess the yellow 58 with 17" must be mine.

They are a set of 2004 Mustang GT Wheels. Picked them up at a local tire shop as a set of take offs for $200. They are the correct bolt pattern but the offset is off a bit. We had to run some spacers to make the clear.

Next step is to make a set of wheel caps with a TBird emblem on them. So if anyone has some camera ready art of a good tBird emblem I can port into mastercam for a friend?

Comment

• byersmtrco
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 28 2004

Wow !!! Very Sharp !!! The 16's look good.

I've looked at yours, the 58 (also very sharp) AND that black 60 conv with the 17's. Need to make up my mind.

I hopefully have a buyer for the wires.

John

Comment

• dgs
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Feb 13 2003

On the custom - I like the low stance, but too many details were bothced on that thing. The extended skirts, the dash, the seats, the straight windshield all could have been done better.

On custom wheels - I got my 17" Boyds at Discount Tire. 17" x 8", zero offset with 235/55R17 Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires. Not nearly as cheap as bdrussell's, I spent about $350 per wheel I think. And if you want them for spring, better order now, mine took 11 weeks. I think they could be gotten sooner if I had gone with the more common Smoothy II instead of the Junkyard Dog.

http://static.flickr.com/99/264080752_9d568c266c_o.jpg http://static.flickr.com/111/264095780_98dd412945_o.jpg

More pics on [a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/73229862@N00/"]my Flickr page[/a].
                      DGS (aka salguod)
                      1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                      www.salguod.net

Comment

Yeah, but i really like the look of the junkyards, the smooth fat lip look is great stuffed under the skirts. I imagine I will eventually end up with a set of those or if I can afford them some foose wheels.

Comment

• dgs
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Feb 13 2003

I think Foose wheels are similarly priced. He's got one that's a lot like mine that i looked at.

The Boyd Junkyard Dog that I have and the Boyd Smoothie II use the same rim, I think. It's the spokes that are different, the Smoothie II has arced spokes, the Junkyard Dog's are straight:

http://www.salguod.net/images/tbird/...ard_dog_sm.jpg http://www.salguod.net/images/tbird/...thie_II_sm.jpg
                          DGS (aka salguod)
                          1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                          www.salguod.net

Comment

• Alexander
                            Webmaster
                            • Oct 30 2002

The styling of the Squarebird was basically true to the customs of the time and customizers of the 50's saw it as such. The Squarebird was incredibly low for the time. It lacks the usual garish trim of cars of the time. The 1959 even had a tube grille stock. Many customizers of the 1950's did only mild customization and added wild paint schemes to make it their custom.

Alexander
                            1959 Hardtop
                            1960 Golde Top
                            Alexander
                            1959 Hard Top
                            1960 Golde Top
                            sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Sep 28 2004

Wow !!!!!!!! Lookin Good !!!!!!!!!

I agree on the custom and on Alexander's statement. Think about it. What did the average car look like in the mid to late 50's. The Sq/bird was waaaaaayy ahead of it's time. They cut some corners to do it. I think actually Ford was hurtin in those years. I'm sure it can be said that the TBird bailed em out.

And yes, the 59 grille is the best grille any car company ever put in a car. They've been copying it ever since.

John

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎