Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dpgosox
    • Sep 14 2008

Power steering pressure line

I have a question about the pressure line going into the pump, I thought some had spliced the two ends together ( like you see with coolant hoses etc), but I cant get them apart. So my question is did the come like this or is this and older repair or somekind. Also someone seemed to shorten because it runs right next to the exhaust manifold. Rubber line hot manifold not good. Thanks

What kind of line is it and what does fitting look like?

Comment

• dpgosox
      • Sep 14 2008

its not a fitting its a splice the hose looks like it broke or someone cut it in the middle and spliced it together, the fittings are there and its a hydrallic line

Comment

Does it have hose clamps on it?
        If it does chances are that the fitting inside that line has barbs on it. If that is the case if pulling and wiggling does not do the trick the only other thing is to cut the line. Then you may run into it being to short.
        Your best bet is to take it off and take it to auto parts place that make up high pressure hoses. Try to figure out how much longer it needs to be and make sure to tell them. They will need the old hose so they can match up ends.
        Last edited by Guest; May 29, 2009, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• dpgosox
          • Sep 14 2008

Thanks, I thought as much, T bird headquarters had a pic of it no splice. Being a 51 year old car god only knows how thats been that way. Thanks again

Comment

• dgs
            Super-Experienced
            • Feb 13 2003

My car has that splice in it. It's where it fits in the rubber clamp on the frame. I think it's supposed to be there.

I bought a replacement from Larry's (I think) and it was too long so I sent it back and reused the old one.

Here are the two hoses I took off, with the rubber block that mounts to the inside of the frame rail:

And here is the new vs. old pressure hose. you can see the 'splice' pretty well on each:

You can see how much extra length there was. It wasn't going to loop right and would interfere with the steering mechanism.
            DGS (aka salguod)
            1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
            www.salguod.net

Comment

• scumdog
              Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Sheesh dgs, ya coulda at least washed yer hands!! hehehe!
              A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• dgs
                Super-Experienced
                • Feb 13 2003

LOL, come on, that grime is a badge of honor. Besides, it takes too long to clean up to take a few pictures.

You should have seen the camera. Had to clean it up before the wife saw it.
                DGS (aka salguod)
                www.salguod.net

Comment

• MikeL
                  Apprentice
                  • Apr 8 2008

Power Steering Hose Information

The power steering pressure hose shown is the correct one. My '60 has 19k miles and the original pressure hose is identical to the one pictured. It has the separate 90 degree tubing end and the reducer fitting in the hose.

The fitting is not a splice but a flow restrictor which helps eliminate noise in the system by reducing momentary high pressure pump pulsations.

I also found the same problem with the replacement hoses being offered by T-Bird parts vendors. I finally found a NOS spare on EBAY.

It may be possible to have a hydraulics supplier make up a replacement hose of the correct length. Make sure it has the restrictor fitting or you may have noise and other problems with the system.

Comment

• dpgosox
                    • Sep 14 2008

I'll see if I cant get a pic of my hose up and on the site, what Im speaking of looks nothing like that! This hose also does not go into its holder, it has been shortend and was rubbing on the exhaust manifold. As for noise, the pump has had a leak since I've owned and has whined. Then again all ford steering pumps whine although they make shim kits etc to fix this.
                    Last edited by dpgosox; May 31, 2009, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• dgs
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Feb 13 2003

Originally posted by MikeL
                      It may be possible to have a hydraulics supplier make up a replacement hose of the correct length.
                      I took mine to a Parker hydraulics shop and they scratched their heads and said, nope, couldn't make it.

The fittings weren't standard, at least to anything they were familiar with.
                      DGS (aka salguod)
                      www.salguod.net

Comment

• V-John
                        Experienced
                        • Mar 22 2013

I've checked several vendors' websites to see what they have for pressure hoses and they all appear, in picures, to be too long in the hose and fittings. Has anyone purchased the correct hose from a particular vendor recently?

The Bird Nest looks the closest in being the one (part #M696). This hose is the only thing holding me up from getting the car back on the road.
                        1959 Thunderbird - Thunderbird Registry #46052

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I believe there's only one company that makes them so they're probably all the same length. It should be around 25". Rockauto has them listed and they're about half the price as the Thunderbird vendors. I believe they're slightly longer but they work just fine. In fact I have a new '59 hose and I had trouble getting it to fit at the right angle. I bought the longer one and it was much easier to fit.

John
                          Last edited by jopizz; September 16, 2016, 06:35 PM.
                          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• V-John
                            Experienced
                            • Mar 22 2013

I have the Rock Auto hose. I tried working with it but the excess length makes it harder to work with. I'll see if I can route it differently to make it work.

Thanks.
                            1959 Thunderbird - Thunderbird Registry #46052

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎