X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steffan
    Apprentice
    • Jan 29 2007

Carburator I.D. Tag

I was wondering if anyone could decipher the ID Tag from my carb. Something makes me feel it is not the correct carb for my 1960 Bird with a 352. The tag # is C2SE C A 2HB and this is off a 4100 Autolite. Based on the code I think it may be off a 1962 but not sure of engine size so I am not really sure if it has the right jets for my 60. My manual does not show this part on the carb. I have had some problems with the carb over the past year, hard to start, running rich, hesitation etc. so a friend of mine introduced me to a carb guru. First thing he found was the engine sounded like it had a massive vaccuum leak and the idle changed when you removed the air cleaner. Turned out the kanoodle valve was bent.

You ask what is a kanoodle valve? It is a metalic strip held on by 2 screws near the top of the carb on the secondary side running horizontal that closes a small hole. Any way I managed to find a good used one and replaced it. Now the car starts up right away after sitting for a week or so. Before this you had to pump the **** out of the pedal and it took for ever to get it started.
    I just have to go back out and see him again and he will reset the mixture screws and check the distributor and timing. He normally just works on race cars but it is great to have a friend who has a friend who has a friend.........
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The tag denotes a 1962 Thunderbird carburetor from a 390. It should work fine on your '60 although it doesn't have the correct inlet for the inline fuel filter that was only used in 1960. Other than that it's basically the same.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Steffan

First thing he found was the engine sounded like it had a massive vaccuum leak and the idle changed when you removed the air cleaner. Turned out the kanoodle valve was bent.

You ask what is a kanoodle valve? It is a metalic strip held on by 2 screws near the top of the carb on the secondary side running horizontal that closes a small hole.
      Kanoodle valve sounds like something an urologist would remove...

It is a HOT IDLE COMPENSATION VALVE. It opens when excess engine heat is sensed (bi-metallic strip) and allows outside air to enter the engine increasing idle speed (controlled vacuum leak) causing the water pump to flow coolant more quickly. As ambient under-hood air temp decreases, it will then close.

Comment

I thought ...

kanoodleing was something that went on in the back seat of your Thunderbird. Mike

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by gaffney1951

kanoodleing was something that went on in the back seat of your Thunderbird. Mike
          I wish someone would have informed my old lady of that...

When I first met her, I held off taking her to the drive-in as she was young and innocent. As the dating progressed, I felt she may finally be ready...

Of course we sat in the front seat and as the evening went along, I made a few smooth and calculated moves...

She seemed to be taking it all well and I asked her,"Would you like to get in the back seat?"

She said no and I began snuggling again. After awhile, I again asked her.

She again said no (have become very familiar with that ) and I again asked her why...

"I want to stay up here with you..."

...sob...

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Funny!!!!!!!

Thanks for the laugh, Gary. That was a good one!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎