• Show
Clear All
  • 65cobra03
    Apprentice
    • Dec 27 2006

fuel pump woes

Hi
    When i bought my 60 conv / 430 it had an electric fuel pump installed
    & would not run on the mech pump I put a brand new mech pump on & it ran on it for a very short while. I then pulled the pump rod & found it was not an original rod I installed an original (new) rod which was a little over 1/8 longer than the homemade one i took out The car ran fine on it for about 300 mi & then puked I am assuming the centric on the cam has worn beyond it's spec's I thought about adding a spot of weld either to the rod or the pump arm. Has anyone with a 430 run into this scenario It runs fine with the electric but i would like to have both
    BEN
  • KULTULZ

Originally posted by 65cobra03

When i bought my 60 conv / 430 it had an electric fuel pump installed & would not run on the mech pump. I put a brand new mech pump on & it ran on it for a very short while. I then pulled the pump rod & found it was not an original rod I installed an original (new) rod which was a little over 1/8 longer than the homemade one i took out. The car ran fine on it for about 300 mi & then puked I am assuming the centric on the cam has worn beyond it's spec's.

I thought about adding a spot of weld either to the rod or the pump arm. Has anyone with a 430 run into this scenario. It runs fine with the electric but i would like to have both

BEN
    The overall length of the pushrod is critical-

Jason Bare

Frequent Contributor
    Member # 2384

posted August 19, 2004 07:38 AM
    Yesterday I found a company that professionally rebuilds old componets (fuel pumps, relays etc) and asked them if they could supply me with the proper length of the fuel pump push rods. So here are the results for all.

1958-1963 430CID up to 01 Jan 1963 4.875 inches

1963-1965 430CID after 01 Jan 1963 4.812 inches

1966-1967 462CID 4.812 inches

Hope this info can help anybody else out in the future
    You are first going to have to ascertain you have the correct rod and then that the one you found did no damage to the eccentric (most likely homemade).

Then you can perform a fuel pump pressure and delivery test to make sure the pump is working correctly. There is a quality rebuilder of these pumps on the LCOC and I will get you his name if needed. Did you keep the origional pump?

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

The measurement of 4.875 is correct for the 59-60 430.
      The diameter is 3/8" A photo of a NOS pushrod is below.

Notice that the bottom of the pushrod has a brass tip. This was meant to keep the eccentric from wearing, since it was easier to change the rod rather than the eccentric. I don't know whether that was changed in later production

Hope that helps in addition.

Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430
      Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• 65cobra03
        Apprentice
        • Dec 27 2006

fuel pump woes

Hi
        The fuel pump is brand new & came from Larry's thunderbirds part's
        The push rod came from classique cars unlimited. It has the bronze tip & supposedly was n.o.s I did not check the length I am assuming these vendors shipped the correct parts Today i pulled the fuel inlet line & ran the car to check for pump suction It is barely pulling any vacuum I am assuming the cam is worn enough as not to actuate the pump The new bronze end probaly seated in a wear groove just enough to disable the pump (it did run for about 300 mi) Hassle to benefit ratio tell's me to just use the electric pump This car has air cond an aux coooling fan power steering A lot of taking apart involved to replace the cam IF I COULD FIND ONE Thanks for the quick responses
        BEN

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

It is a lot of work to pull off the front accy's on the 430cid motor, the waterpump, timing cover, etc. I'm trying to remember, but didn't the 430's have the fuel pump ecentric BOLT ON to the front of the camshaft?? I don't remember it being actually machined into the end of the camshaft itself? Someone correct me if my mind is slipping here...
          sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 23 2005

It's bolted on to the end of the cam.

Your suction problem may be very simple. Remove the two screws from the top of the fuel pump. Look inside and see if the two flat circular valves are still in their seats. I had a new NOS pump that blew out the top valve. To fix it, just push the valve into the seat and stake it in 3 places with a flat blade screw driver.
            Bart
            1960 Hard Top/430
            Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• KULTULZ

The Service PN for this period MEL fuel pump eccentric is C0SZ 6287-A if anyone is lucky enough to come across one a parts swap.

Comment

• 65cobra03
                Apprentice
                • Dec 27 2006

fuel pump woes

Hi
                Thanks bcomo for the tip on the check valves I checked them out earlier & they are intact I am sure my problem is a worn eccentric
                I do get a slight amount of vacuum so the (new) push rod is coming up somewhat I have another new (carter) fuel pump on the shelf I thought of either elongating the mount holes & shoving it down a tad or welding a raised spot on the fuel pump arm. I am kind of a purist & hate to cob stuff I probably will just stick with the electric as it run's fine with it i just hate the whirring noise when not under way If i decide to try the above mod's i will post the result's
                BEN

Comment

I have the same problem with my 60 430 bird. What I have learned is the following;

Fuel Pump Eccentric
                  59/60 C0SZ-6287-A

Fuel Pump
                  59/60 B8S-9350-A
                  60 C0LE-9350-A replaced by B8S-9350-A

Fuel Pump Arm Assy
                  59/60 B8S-9376-A for B8S-9350-A pump
                  60 C0SZ-9376-A for C0LE-9350-A pump

Fuel Pump Rod
                  59/60 "Id by 2 groves opposite end from bronze tip
                  use with B9LE-6009-A" (service block?)
                  C1VE-9400-A
                  59/60 "Use with B9SZ-6009-A only"
                  Unable to find listing for this block.
                  C3VY-9400-B
                  The two listed pump rods are different length; the C1VE-A is shorter (I think) than the C3VY-B. Judging by the fuel pump arm P/N the C1VE-A rod is for the B8S-A pump. I have both rods NOS and can measure them if any one is interested. I am not sure why they list or what the significant difference is in the two listed cylinder blocks other than the B9LE-A is service replacement and the B9SZ-A is factory installed.
                  If I'm way out in left field with this, please let me know!

Comment

I'd say you are in center field. Great advice.

Comment

• 65cobra03
                      Apprentice
                      • Dec 27 2006

fuel pump woes

Hi colo66
                      The rod i bought & installed is marked C1VY9400A on the pkg. I can kick myself for not measuring it b4 installation I am assuming i have the shorter of the 2 could you measure your's & let all of us know the difference in demensions
                      Thanks BEN

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Colo66

I have the same problem with my 60 430 bird. What I have learned is the following;

Fuel Pump Eccentric

59/60 C0SZ-6287-A

Fuel Pump

59/60 B8S-9350-A
                        60 C0LE-9350-A replaced by B8S-9350-A

Fuel Pump Arm Assy

59/60 B8S-9376-A for B8S-9350-A pump
                        60 C0SZ-9376-A for C0LE-9350-A pump

Fuel Pump Rod

59/60 "Id by 2 groves opposite end from bronze tip
                        use with B9LE-6009-A" (service block?)
                        C1VE-9400-A

59/60 "Use with B9SZ-6009-A only"
                        Unable to find listing for this block.
                        C3VY-9400-B

(NOTE: B9SZ was most likely replaced by C0SZ 6009-A)

The two listed pump rods are different length; the C1VE-A is shorter (I think) than the C3VY-B. Judging by the fuel pump arm P/N the C1VE-A rod is for the B8S-A pump. I have both rods NOS and can measure them if any one is interested.

I am not sure why they list or what the significant difference is in the two listed cylinder blocks other than the B9LE-A is service replacement and the B9SZ-A is factory installed.
                        Interesting. Where did you come across this information?

6009 is the Basic PN (Service) for a short block asm. Judging by what you have come across, there was a LINC SHORT (B9LE) and a FORD (BIRD) (B9SZ) short. One would need both the FORD and the LINC-MERC MPC's for this period to find the reason(s) for the differences.

The 58/63 rod length should be the same (1963 saw the 430 re-engineered) (after a major re-design in 1961)

The rods also under went changes, brass tip-oil-lite tip, all stainelss steel.

Comment

Hi Ben!
                          I will measure both rods and post here and I will try and get a pic as well.
                          Thanks to Kultulz for sharing his information, it is very interesting! It would be interesting to know if the C1VE-A rod superceeded any of the rod(s) listed in TSB-17.
                          I have an original 1960 Tbird shop manual, a 49-59 Ford MPC and also a 60-64 Ford MPC. I wish I had an obsolete/supercede/interchange parts catalog. By comparing both MPC, this forum, 58-60 OFS, Alan Tast book on Thunderbirds, and actual NOS parts, I arrived at my earlier post. The next step is to measure the the eccentric travel, the fuel pump arm travel along with the rod length to prove my theory. The block P/N reference came from the fuel pump rod listing, 9400, 49-59 Ford MPC. The B9SZ-6009-A block assy is not listed in either the 49-59 MPC or the 60-64 MPC. Just the B9LE-6009-A for 59 and C0SZ-6009-A for 60. There is the possibility that there was a mistype in the B9LE part number and should read B9SZ, but I would think that would be remote. I don't think the differences in the blocks has much to do with the different rods but rather a change in fuel pumps as the fuel pump rocker arm are different between the two years. Again, its curious to note that the C0LE-A arm was replaced by earlier B8S-A without a reference to the fuel pump rod. As a foot note, the timing chain cover P/N is the same for both years, B9SZ-6019-A and the long block for 59 (in the 49-59 MPC)has a C0ME-6010-A P/N but for 60 as not replaced.

Comment

Ok.......I measured my fuel pump rods...The C1VE-A (C1VY-A) rod is 4.881 inches long and the C3VY-C is 4.810. Both are .373 in diameter. The difference is around .070 inch which don't sound like much until you factor in the fuel pump arm ratio. I have the B8S-A pump and, just a rough measurement, came up with a 1.6 ratio (maybe a little more) which would make about 1/8 inch difference in the diaphragm movement between the two rods. I'm not sure what the travel of the pump diaphragm is but it can't be much. That makes sense that the C0LE-A pump was replaced by B8S-A pump (although a little less fuel output) without a recommendation to change fuel pump rods. So, installing a C0LE-A pump on the longer rod may not allow the diaphragm to fully fill the chamber in the fuel pump or may even damage the diaphragm by over stretching. It would be interesting to know what the Lincoln MEL pump rods measure.
                            Please let me know if I figured something wrong!

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Colo66

The block P/N reference came from the fuel pump rod listing, 9400, 49-59 Ford MPC. The B9SZ-6009-A block assy is not listed in either the 49-59 MPC or the 60-64 MPC. Just the B9LE-6009-A for 59 and C0SZ-6009-A for 60. There is the possibility that there was a mistype in the B9LE part number and should read B9SZ, but I would think that would be remote. I don't think the differences in the blocks has much to do with the different rods but rather a change in fuel pumps as the fuel pump rocker arm are different between the two years.

Again, its curious to note that the C0LE-A arm was replaced by earlier B8S-A without a reference to the fuel pump rod. As a foot note, the timing chain cover P/N is the same for both years, B9SZ-6019-A and the long block for 59 (in the 49-59 MPC)has a C0ME-6010-A P/N but for 60 as not replaced.
                              B9LE and B9SZ (C0SZ) 6009 are correct. C0SZ 6009-A would be a 4V short, specific to the 60 BIRD as the 60 LINC/MERC 430 was 2V.

The B9LE is the short used in the LINC (also maybe MERC). B9SZ is BIRD specific so something(s) in the short assembly is different between the two.

The C0LE pump would have been for the 60 LINC 430 2V. It may be FORD had to use the previous 4V pump on the BIRD for proper fuel delivery. This is the only logical explanation I can gather.

Interesting discussion.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎