No announcement yet.

Pointless

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pointless

Has anyone ever converted their bird to a pointless distributor? Do you recommend any brand name kits?
    Thanks
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Pointless

I think a lot of people on this site have converted to pointless. The engine runs smoother at all RPM's, plus you do not need to adjust those points every thousand miles.

I use the Mallory Unilite in my 1959. I have had it in for about 20 years.

I have used the Pertronix II in my 1960 for the past four years.

It is really important to have a good ground with these systems, or you will have sudden, hard-to-diagnose failures of the ignition. I had many sudden failures in my 1959, until I soldered in a bigger guage wire and large ring connector for the ground. No problems since then, and it has been almost 20 years.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

I order the Pertronix not the Pertronix II the way I read it the Pertronix II was used for more high performance vehicles. Did I miss something? Should I have ordered the II or will the regular Pertronix work just as well?
      Thanks

Comment

• white_fox
        Apprentice
        • Feb 1 2006

I have the Pertronix in my '58 and it works great! Starts every time even if its' been a while...
        Good luck!

Sue

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

You can use either the Ignitor or the Ignitor II. The Ignitor II has some improvements.

See their site at http://pertronix.com/

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

i just put the crane xri kit in will let ya know how it works

Comment

You will not regret installing a Petronix.......I installed one 2 years ago and have never touched it since........your car will purr like a kitten.

Comment

Point"less" helps...and easy job. I'm changing my carb to a Holley 650 with mechanical secondarys. Overkill?

Comment

I have had trouble with the pertonics on my 56 Bird thats why I didnt install them on my 60. Went dead several times and once destroyed my exhaust system that exploded the unburned gas when the Pertronics failed. I keep spare points in car and believe it or not I really enjoy changing them. "Quality time" with my car!!! The guy at Pertronics told me that I needed to install an alternator to keep a "good" "steady" supply of power to the system. He also mentioned about "beefing up" my ground wire in the distributor. Yet I hear from people who have used them for years with no trouble.

Comment

Have you ever found a diagram on how to wire a alternator?

Comment

ok got the new 390 fired up it seems to run well the thing i liked about the crane points replacement is it has a built in rev limiter kinda neet

Comment

• KULTULZ

>Have you ever found a diagram on how to wire a alternator?

Read This;

I would use a ALT regulator in place of the GEN regulator to retain correct appearance instead of the suggestion on the site.

Comment

This description is very helpful, however I have a problem. I managed to come up with the brackets to mount the alternator, however in the bottom diagram they show a hex bolt threading into a portion of the block. I don't have this threaded hole on my vehicle. My heads and block are out of a 1960. Do you know of any explaination for this hole not being there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

I found this site and it helps answer my question.

Thanks

Comment

• KULTULZ

>This description is very helpful, however I have a problem.
                              >I managed to come up with the brackets to mount the
                              >alternator, however in the bottom diagram they show a hex
                              >bolt threading into a portion of the block. I don't have
                              >this threaded hole on my vehicle. My heads and block are
                              >out of a 1960. Do you know of any explaination for this
                              >hole not being there? Any help would be greatly
                              >appreciated.
                              >
                              >Thanks.

They are describing two different mounting positions and related hardware. The Low-Mount methods would be more appropriate with your early BIRD IMO.

"The following images address the alternator bracket(s). The top one is the most common. The typical "high mount" bracket. You can only install these on a 1965 or newer FE water pump. The difference between the two is the adjustment arm. The bottom picture addresses the "low mount" bracket. I have found these to be a lot rarer, yet for some reason Ford featured those in their repair manuals rather than the much more available "high mount" bracket. The "low mount" can be used on any FE engine due to the fact the dowl pin area is not used for the installation."

HI-MOUNT INSTALLATION

LOW-MOUNT INSTALLATION

Which hole is missing? Where No. 2 or No. 6 capscrew goes?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎