Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

60HT 430 Rebuild Photos -- Here we go !!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

More rebuild photos -- Suspension and Tranny

Here are more photos during the 430 rebuild.

The suspension out -- notice the safety wire holding up the wheel hub, so that the brake lines don't have to be removed.

The front end parts ready for me to clean and paint:

Front end parts after I cleaned, wire brushed and painted them. The springs have a purple stripe for 430 springs (height 15.5", and .710" thickness).

COM (PBB Large Case) Transmission back from the shop, and new Torque Converter in lower right. Ready for prep and paint.

Photo after I preped and painted the tranny. Tailshaft is natural Aluminum, case sprayed with Cast Iron Finish, and bell housing is Black. (The Old Girl is going to love this )

She's always had a whine in the rear axle during acceleration, so the rear axle is being competely torn down for a new Ring and Pinion, and all new bearings and seals.

More Photos later.
    Last edited by bcomo; February 9, 2008, 12:17 PM.
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• tbird430
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 18 2007

DANG BART!!! I thought this was just an engine overhaul. Ur not even going to recognize that Bird when u get her back on the road.

I would ALMOST be tempted to put the 3.10 or 3.55? rear diff gears back in her to make her "fly" off the line better...
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 23 2005

Dang is right !!

Well------ I had the tranny out, and there was that linkage leak that needed the valve body dropped. So, I figured I might as well put it in the back of my Jeep and have it torn down, and completely inspected and resealed.

The tranny guy said that it had been rebuilt recently (who knew that ?). The hard parts were all perfect, the clutches were in great shape, and bands as thick as brake shoes. They replaced all of the tranny bushings and seals, and sent the Converter out of state for a teardown, inspection, new hub and balance. Total tranny cost, including the Converter $439 -- I couldn't refuse that !!!!

Since I saved alot on the tranny ---- I had to get rid of that whine in the rear axle. The gears will be 3.0 instead of 2.91
        Last edited by bcomo; February 9, 2008, 01:07 PM.
        Bart
        1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

Sweet!!
          sigpic

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Hawkrod
            Experienced
            • Oct 31 2005

Originally posted by KULTULZ

Shown is the FE Dress-Up Kit (1964). MEL rocker covers are unique. Your complete air cleaner housing is chromed (looks nice) whereas the FORD kit had an open element air cleaner.

I have seen photos of a similiar setup and would like to know its' origion. Plating is an expensive venture these days.

The engine looks good...!!!
            Although i am late to the party I would point out that a 1960 Tbird Chrome dress up kit for a 352 would not be an open element air cleaner, it would be the one shown on the 430. They are correct and are the same unit used on regular 352 and 430 but are chrome plated. Hawkrod

Comment

• Hawkrod
              Experienced
              • Oct 31 2005

Originally posted by bcomo
              Dan:

snip
              The one unexpected item was that one of the rings was cracked, and 1/2 of it fell out when they removed that piston. That would have been a catastrophy if pieces had dislodged in the cylinder wall.
              snip
              Still late to the party but i wanted to point out that a broken piston ring can't dislodge unless there is extensive damage to the piston or cylinder as there is not enough room between the piston and cylinder wall even in a heavily worn engine. The ends of the ring can cut slots in the cylinder wall though and that is just as bad. Hawkrod

Comment

• bcomo
                Super-Experienced
                • Sep 23 2005

Hawkrod -- Better late than a no-show.

Your input is always appreciated.
                Bart
                1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• bcomo
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Sep 23 2005

Here are some photos of the carrier with new 3.0 ring and pinion set. Notice the nice central wear pattern on the yellow test paint.

Interesting -- I painted the outside of the carrier with Rust-O-Leum "Red Oxide" paint. I did NOT paint the inside. It was painted at the factory that same color; probably to avoid rust before assembly.

Photo of the front before it was installed. The rest of the axle got a complete set of new bearings and seals.

Carrier installed. Now I have to paint the axle around it. My mistake -- should have done that before.

Bart
                  1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• tbird430
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 18 2007

Looks good Bart!!
                    sigpic

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 23 2005

Getting It Back Together

Here are some more photos for those of you who are interested. It's finally getting back together.

Driveshaft took alot of weight to balance -- front and rear.
                      Well spent $35

Everything balanced and ready for assembly:

Notice the weight welded to the crank counterweight after the crank was cut.

Comparison of two rods after balancing. Some of them needed more material removed to balance.

Bottom end together:

Heads surfaced and valve seats machined.

Heads being assembled with new valves, springs, and rocker arms.

Owner of Janke's (Jerry Janke) admiring his work after the engine was painted. Chrome valve covers are being rechromed. Still alot of parts to get back together -- but it's getting there.

Last edited by bcomo; March 1, 2008, 08:27 PM.
                      Bart
                      1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Bart it won't be long and it is all coming together for you. It won't be long and it will be soon cruisin time. Looks great.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                        Thunderbird Registry
                        58HT #33317
                        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡