Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dgs
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 13 2003

Thanks for the suggestions, if I can get myself into the garage before spring I'll give them a try.

As far as replacing the brushes, since the Rockauto rebuilt starter is only $30 after the core charge, it doesn't seem worth it. I'll jsut replace it, assuming that's what it is.
    DGS (aka salguod)
    1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
    www.salguod.net

Comment

• olevet
      Experienced
      • Jan 28 2015

Add a Ground also. One from the engine to the Firewall.
      Old grounds get corroded and wont make a good contact.

Comment

• OX1
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by dgs
        Thanks for the suggestions, if I can get myself into the garage before spring I'll give them a try.

As far as replacing the brushes, since the Rockauto rebuilt starter is only $30 after the core charge, it doesn't seem worth it. I'll jsut replace it, assuming that's what it is.
        I'd be careful with bottom dollar rebuilt parts,
        unless it is really easy to swap out.
        59-430-HT

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by dgs
          ...As far as replacing the brushes, since the Rockauto rebuilt starter is only $30 after the core charge, it doesn't seem worth it. I'll jsut replace it, assuming that's what it is.
          Doug, be mindful that rebuild shops only guarantee their product for a short time.

Starter brushes, even when new, are short. So, as long as used brushes have 'some' life left, rebuild shops will save themselves eight bucks and re-use old brushes. Starter motor brushes are NOT carbon. They are carbon-impregnated bronze; short enough to keep resistance low, the carbon acts as a commutator lubricant and the bronze will hold up under high heat from high current.

When you receive your starter motor, open the inspection plate and LOOK. Pull up on the brushes' pigtails with a hook:

Feel how free they travel in the holders and notice how long each one is. OR, you can shake dice and simply trust that $30 will work well past the warranty period. Save your receipt and Good luck. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• dgs
            Super-Experienced
            • Feb 13 2003

At Rock Auto the same 12 month warranty applies to the rebuilt and the new. I suspect no one else has a longer warranty. Of course, that doesn't mean that I want to swap it out twice.
            DGS (aka salguod)
            www.salguod.net

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I think Cardone is the only company left that rebuilds for the larger auto parts retailers. I usually don't have a problem with their rebuilt parts.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• dgs
                Super-Experienced
                • Feb 13 2003

The Rock Auto part is branded "Pure Energy", not sure who that is. I don't imagine many companies are rebuilding these old parts.
                DGS (aka salguod)
                www.salguod.net

Comment

• dgs
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Feb 13 2003

So I'm finally getting around to replacing this starter (life has gotten in the way until now) and I can't get the starter out. I've gotten all the bolts off and the starter pulls away from the engine a little (1/2"-3/4"), but it won't come out. I've twisted and turned and pulled on it to no avail.

Is there a trick to removing this thing?

Also, because I'm a fool and like to fiddle with things, I turned the bendix on the new one and it's now locked in the engaged position. Is that going to cause me issues with getting it in place?
                  DGS (aka salguod)
                  www.salguod.net

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Sorry, there's no trick to it. You may have to turn the wheel all the way right or left to get it to clear the steering rack but there's no other shortcuts to get it out. As for the new one you can put it on the battery and see if it disengages or put it in the way it is. I've done both.

John
                    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• dgs
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Feb 13 2003

I got it. I had to twist and pull and wiggle and pull and use a pry bar and pull but it eventually came loose from the engine. Wiggling it out from there required a few more gymnastics and, yes, turning the wheel all the way left.

I simply installed the new without any trouble from it being in the engaged position. It wasn't easy to get all the bolts started but it's done.

Unfortunately, since it's been sitting for nearly a year, the battery, though new last summer, didn't have enough charge to crank it long enough to start. Well, it actually did start, but wouldn't stay running and then the battery went dead. Hopefully I can get it going later tonight or tomorrow. I think this is the latest "first start of the season" since I've owned it.
                      DGS (aka salguod)
                      www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎