X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daleo56
    Experienced
    • Dec 27 2014

PerTronix Ignitor II Installation - 1960 Thunderbird

I have seen a few older posts here but I wanted to show my installation with a current part list and what it takes to retain the stock look.

The first step was to purchase the parts:

PerTronix Ignitor II® Solid-State Ignition Systems 91281

and because I wanted to keep the stock look I went with their unmarked stock wire kit:

PerTronix Flame-Thrower 7mm Stock Look Spark Plug Wire Sets 708105
    Free Shipping - PerTronix Flame-Thrower 7mm Stock Look Spark Plug Wire Sets with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Spark Plug Wire Sets at Summit Racing.

You can also go to Advance Auto and get it there for even cheaper with their 20-40% off sales like I did!

So I bought the ignition system and wires and now have to check the wiring and colors to make sure it all works. I have read that you could leave the pink resistance wire in place but I am going to replace it from the ignition to the firewall.

Please correct me if I am not reading the wiring diagram correctly but I believe the resistance is in the pink wire and not after the connector in the red/green wire (brown to solenoid) going to the coil.

I had already replaced that wiring harness with a new one from Ecklers when I first bought the car. If your wires are not in good shape I would recommend this as the new wire harness is clean and looks great!

So now that I have listed the simple parts list I will move to the installation today and post the results this evening.

Here are detailed pictures of the wires prior to starting. We have a rain delay today so part two of the installation will be coming soon!

Tim Daleo
    Azusa, California
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/daleo1/albums

Thunderbird Registry Entry
  • Daleo56
    Experienced
    • Dec 27 2014

I installed the new PerTronix spark plug wires and they look and fit great! They have no writing on them and the ends look close to the original Ford connections. I removed the old points and condenser and installed the new PerTronix kit. Red to positive on the coil and black to negative on the coil and I was all done. I did heat shrink the wires in black so they would not stand out on the engine.

The experts at PerTronix are ready to help you choose the perfect high performance ignition and exhaust products. We're enthusiasts too!

I still need to change the pink resistance wire but I will have to wait till next weekend. I did drive it home and you cannot tell I did any changes when opening up the hood. I love the stock look!!!

Tim Daleo
    Azusa, California

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

I don't like to harp on this subject but solid state equipment need full voltage to work properly. Get it from your key switch with new #16AWG copper stranded wire.

Your instruction sheet verifies this on page 2, paragraph 2:
      "Recommended Installation: Many vehicles came equipped with ballast resistor or resistance wire. To achieve optimum performance from the Ignitor II ignition system, we recommend removal of these components."

Also, heed the warning about the ground strap inside your distributor. "Electrical ground" is more important than hot wires because it never gets a full length of copper wire, with low resistance, to return to the battery. - Dave

We also discussed removing the brown wire on your starter solenoid.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Daleo56
        Experienced
        • Dec 27 2014

Originally posted by simplyconnected
        I don't like to harp on this subject but solid state equipment need full voltage to work properly. Get it from your key switch with new #16AWG copper stranded wire.

"Recommended Installation: Many vehicles came equipped with ballast resistor or resistance wire. To achieve optimum performance from the Ignitor II ignition system, we recommend removal of these components."

Also, heed the warning about the ground strap inside your distributor. "Electrical ground" is more important than hot wires because it never gets a full length of copper wire, with low resistance, to return to the battery. - Dave

We also discussed removing the brown wire on your starter solenoid.
        It was only a three mile trip home and I will install my new pink wire this weekend.

I was not part of the brown wire removal conversation. It supplies a full 12v during cranking right? While being redundant now do I have to disconnect it?

Also, I put the ground strap back on the original location after I removed the points and condenser.
        Tim Daleo
        Azusa, California

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Daleo56
          I was not part of the brown wire removal conversation. It supplies a full 12v during cranking right? While being redundant now do I have to disconnect it?
          Once you run a new wire to the coil the brown wire will not be used. If you want to leave it on the solenoid so it looks stock then you will need to tape up the existing coil wire.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Daleo56
            Experienced
            • Dec 27 2014

Originally posted by jopizz
            Once you run a new wire to the coil the brown wire will not be used. If you want to leave it on the solenoid so it looks stock then you will need to tape up the existing coil wire.

John
            I asked earlier in the thread but I want to confirm: The red/green stripe wire going to the coil is not a resistor wire, right? I can terminate the brown wire, tape it back and then hook my new pink wire to the red/green. The wiring on the engine side of the bay is only a few months old and I want to keep it original looking.

Tim Daleo
            Azusa, California

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You are correct. The red/green wire is straight copper.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Daleo56
                Experienced
                • Dec 27 2014

Originally posted by jopizz
                You are correct. The red/green wire is straight copper.

John
                Thank you John! That makes it easy to just do the 3 foot run of pink wire and tape off the brown.
                Tim Daleo
                Azusa, California

Comment

• GTE427
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Oct 9 2007

Is it necessary to disconnect/tape the solenoid end of the brown wire in this case (Pertronix) when removing the resistance wire?

Since it serve as a redundant 12VDC+ source, it would back feed the IGN terminal on the ignition switch during cranking. Is there any harm it that?

In the other thread by Dakota Boy, I understand not connecting the brown wire as his solenoid has been relocated to the starter and this would required additional wiring that isn’t necessary. On a stock FE or MEL, there are many cars that have this Brown wire connected while using the Pertonix’s ignition.

Looking for a clarification between a personal preference versus hazard.
                  Ken
                  1959 J Convertible
                  1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

...solid state equipment need full voltage to work properly. Get it from your key switch with new #16AWG copper stranded wire.

"Recommended Installation: Many vehicles came equipped with ballast resistor or resistance wire. To achieve optimum performance from the Ignitor II ignition system, we recommend removal of these components."...
                    Please read this with correct understanding. NO PINK WIRE (or any other resistance wire). You need a regular copper wire that supplies full voltage from your key switch.

The brown wire is 'somewhat' the same but I cannot call it 'redundant'. Yes, it also supplies full voltage to the coil but ... think about this ... if you simply 'bump' your starter by bridging your starter solenoid with a jumper cable, your spark plugs will fire whether the key is on or not.

Since Pertronix wants a wire from the key switch, no other wire should backfeed to control your ignition.
                    • With the brown wire: If your solenoid ever stuck on, the engine will start and run with the key switch off.
                    • Without the brown wire: If your solenoid ever stuck on, ignition is controlled strictly by the key switch. <--This is what you want.
                    - Dave
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Daleo56
                      Experienced
                      • Dec 27 2014

My original plan is still correct. Replace the original pink "resistance" wire with a normal pink wire. I went to the store and had got standard pink wire. I want it to look original

The brown one, as I found out, could cause a problem. It could have caused a problem in its original configuration too though. I will cut the end off at the firewall and tie it up.
                      Tim Daleo
                      Azusa, California

Comment

• GTE427
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Oct 9 2007

The brown wire is 'somewhat' the same but I cannot call it 'redundant'.
                        Better refered to as a sneak circuit. Thanks for the response Dave.

Dale056,
                        Great job on the restoration. I admire your work ethic, the pace at which this car is coming together is impressive, hats off to you and the wife.
                        Ken
                        1959 J Convertible
                        1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• Daleo56
                          Experienced
                          • Dec 27 2014

Originally posted by GTE427
                          Better refered to as a sneak circuit. Thanks for the response Dave.

Dale056,
                          Great job on the restoration. I admire your work ethic, the pace at which this car is coming together is impressive, hats off to you and the wife.
                          Thank you!

I ran a new pink wire from the ignition through the firewall today. I left the old pink wire there and also cut the brown wire and terminated it. Now I just need to spend some time cleaning the old wires!

All done.

Tim Daleo
                          Azusa, California

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡