This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:04 AM

mfd574 is on a distinguished road
Default Need a little a/c help.

We have a 1960 T-bird that has a/c in it. The previous owner had replaced the compressor a couple years ago and not sure if it is the same as the original. I noticed that it wasn't really putting out cold air so thought that it may need a charge. When I started to look at the compressor I couldn't figure out how to or where to charge it. I am attaching a couple of pictures so that you can see what it looks like. One of them has a couple of caps off it and not sure what the little "bolts" are that are under the caps. They turn and it seems as if they are turned "open". The two brass ones come off to but there isn't any "valve" that I can see where we can hook up to charge this thing. Any one have any idea about this kind of compressor and how I can get this thing to give me some cold air?

Old 05-16-2011, 01:08 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Don't touch it. There are too many 'unknowns' here. Did the previous owner switch refrigerant types? If you put the wrong stuff in, this could become expensive.

I'm all for doing our own restorations whenever possible but this needs a professional with proper tools AND a warranty.

The A/C guy may seem expensive, but have him check for leaks and make sure you get a warranty in writing. Ask him who made the compressor, what type of refrigerant was used, etc. If he won't write a warranty, go somewhere else.

And if it needs juice next spring, call in that warranty.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-16-2011, 03:18 AM
Super-Experienced and a really nice guy!

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Dave gave you some good advice. To help yourself, IF you can contact the previous owner, do so and ask him which refrigerant is in the system. Ask him if it R-12, or if it R-132, or some other refrigerant. That will be a help to your A/C guy in troubleshooting it. If the previous owner can tell you that, then you can pass that on to the A/C guy checking it out for you. It will be good for you to know and him also.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

All great advice above.

Just to answer one of your questions, the a/c gauge & charge hoses go to the fittings under those smaller brass caps (pointing to the inner fender wells).

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:48 PM

johns60 is on a distinguished road
Default A/C compressor

If your bird is a driver, do yourself a big favor and switch to the new Sanden compressor. I am very happy with it. Takes much less power, and runs very smoothly. No jerking as with the original.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:01 PM

Default Need a little a/c help

Hi John,

Can you give us some additional information regarding this Sanden compressor? It might be something more of us are interested in knowing about.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
Old 05-19-2011, 03:29 AM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

Here is a list of distributors.

Vintage Air is one of them.

http://www.sanden.com/index.php?id=MTExOTk3OTE2MQ8

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 05-19-2011, 04:06 AM
Slow Typist

Most OEM A/C compressors are vane pumps, and cheaper to manufacture. Sanden compressors are piston pumps, with a swash plate to vary the pressure.

You can imagine, a lot of pistons going around in their bores are more expensive to manufacture. The difference? Not a lot. I have Sanden and I have OEM compressors. The Sanden's tend to be a bit quieter and maybe a little more efficient, but both pumps are positive-displacement pumps and they both do the same thing.

I got mine from Vintage Air.

- Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-19-2011, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the information on Sanden A/C compressors. I see their website is down. I tried to bring up that link, and then the main site, several times, and it would not come up.

As for Vintage Air, they are right here in San Antonio! If I have a need to swap out my A/C compressor, I will consider a Sanden compressor and get it locally. So far, my A/C is working fine again on Rose. It was so cold going up and coming back from Fredericksburg a couple of weekends ago that I had the vents mostly closed to keep it from freezing my head! I hope it works as well during the upcoming heat of a South Texas summer!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 05-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Slow Typist

BTW, when you deviate from 'stock' a new bracket must be fabricated. I have no problem making one for my Y-Block but this is all custom work which could be expensive if you need to pay someone else to make it. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca