No announcement yet.

transmission trouble

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

transmission trouble

can i put a c6 tranny in my 63 big block bird? if so will linkage work the same
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: transmission trouble

I checked with a mechanic friend of mine. It is possible to do this swap. It has been done before. You need a later flexplate and flywheel than the original engine for this swap. The starter also needs to be from a '66 and later. The linkage will need to be modified to work wtih the C6 transmision. Mainly the rod length and bend needs to be modified.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• Hawkrod
      Experienced
      • Oct 31 2005

You will also need to modify the trans mount or use the 66 crossmember and make it fit using a pair of flat steel plates to make the bolt pattern and position work. This is actually very easy as all you have to do is mount the trans and bolt teh crossmember to it and you will see where it needs to sit. Then take two small pieces of flat plat and make a pair of adapters with two holes in them. You also need teh kickdown linkage and a shift lever (the one on the trans itself) from a 66 Tbird to make everything line up properly and have the shift pattern match. Hawkrod

Hawkrod

39 Ford Deluxe Coupe
      59 Tbird 430
      60 Lincoln Premier
      (2)62 Tbirds
      (3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
      69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
      77 1/2 Ford F250 4X4 w/460 swap
      86 SVO mustang
      76 F250 Crew Cab
      [font size=4][a href="http://www.supermotors.org/members/profile.php?user=hawkrod"] look at my cars past and present at superford! [/a][/font]

Comment

just a thought, would an AoD swap allow more options?

Comment

• Hawkrod
          Experienced
          • Oct 31 2005

Using an AOD would be a new from scratch proposition. The AOD does not bolt up to the stock engines so you would have to buy a custom adapter and then you would have to make a mount, linkage, driveshaft etc.... I am sure it could be done but it would not be as easy as a C6 swap is. Hawkrod

Comment

• byersmtrco
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 28 2004

A company called Gear Vendor makes an over-drive unit that will bolt onto a C6. An added support brace is needed. Then with maybe 3:70 ratio, you'd have basically a 6 sp automatic. You'd have the best of all worlds. Lots of off the line acceleration and be about 2000 rpm at 70 MPH. I believe the unit is around 1400 bucks. Works off a switch. They've been around for a long time. They've been making making OD units for Motor Homes for 20 + years.

This unit is aprox # 15 on my wish list, right after a 428 CJ cleverly disguised as a 352. ha ha . . .

John

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎