X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Alexander:

You are correct about the rear hose on my 60. It appears that the last owner installed an electric pump back there, then changed his mind and removed it.

I guess that I can fix that.
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

Alexander,when I bought my 60HT the gas line was cut off and crimped at the rear end of the rocker panel.When I put the new one on I looked at the set up in the shop manual 3-33 and it looks like a rubber hose connects the portion of the line from the rocker panel to part that goes up over the axle to the tank.Please take a look at it and let me know if I need to replace my line.
      I have not had any problems with vapor lock,only a small prob starting it when hot,after driving for awhile.

Comment

• bcomo
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 23 2005

TChicken:

I see what "looks like" a dark area at the rear in the figure on that page. But, if you read the instructions on that page on "removing the gas tank", you'll see that they make reference to only one flex line, at the front.

So, you and I both have two flex lines. I did replace that rear hose with new fuel hose and new clamps. I haven't had a problem either, so I wouldn't worry about it.
        Bart
        1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

Bart is right, there is only a rubber hose on the front of the fuel line.

Rubber hoses are the weak point in the system and are a danger for fires. Those people who have original fuel lines, should check under the two plates that protect the fuel line. When I pulled mine off, the fuel line was so rusted, that the fuel line was weeping gas, because it was nearly rusted through. I had no visible leak before I pulled that plate off.

The rubber hoses are the weak point and danger for fire in a fuel system. I would buy a new fuel line. You would not like a leak of fuel onto the mufflers.

A friend of mine had a late model Cadillac. The mechanic spotted a leak in the plastic fuel rail in the engine compartment. The replacement fuel line was made of metal. GM must have known they had a problem.

Car fires are common, especially in newer fuel-injected cars. Carry a fire extinguisher in your car and check for oily cracked hoses and other points of leak whenever you open the hood.
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 23 2005

Well, after reading Alexander's post, I'll have to take back my statement about "don't worry about it".

I changed all of my brake lines from the front to rear, so I might as well do the fuel line too. Thanks for the advice.
            Bart
            1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

I guess I will add that to my "to do list"Glad I bought that tube bender.

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

They have prebent fuel lines in regular and stainless steel for our Squarebirds. They ship it with one extra bend that easily straightens out. Bolts right in.
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

• 6TB1RD
                  Experienced
                  • Apr 9 2006

1st long drive after fuel line fix

Well first let me say she drove really nice.

Lets see when I installed my new fuel pump the steel line did not fit. so I used a rubber line from the fuel pump to the carb, it was also laying across the by pass hose for the water pump (can we say HOT !! ) so I took some of the insulation left over from the interior remodel and rapped the fuel line (about 1/2" thick) and drove her to work this morning. I also readjusted the Timing.

Did not stall at any lights or stop signs. Ran great lots of power.

Watching the gauges instead of the road this is what I found.

Volts
                  Idling 10v
                  Highway speed lights on low beam 11.5v
                  Highway speed lights on high beam 11.0v

Oil pressure
                  Cold first start up 45psi
                  Highway speed warmed up'd 35psi
                  Idling warmed up'd 30psi
                  Idling after driving the 45 Min. 22 miles to work 20psi

So we will see after I get home temp today as high as 91.

All most got her dialed in so now just have to replace the heads and the passanger side exhaust manifold (any body got one real cheep??) and she should drive real nice.

oh she pulls to the right under hard breaking
                  George (Papa of 9)
                  1960 H/T :rolleyes:
                  Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
                  http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
                  sigpic

Comment

• 6TB1RD
                    Experienced
                    • Apr 9 2006

Drive home

Oil pressure wile driving was about 30psi and volts were at 11v the trip home.

She developed a knock wile driving after I got home I found that the plug wire some how came loose from the plug again (new set of wires are on my list) Allso developed a massage gas leak at the fuel pump. so I did not drive her to work.

Hopeing it's just a loose fitting.
                    George (Papa of 9)
                    1960 H/T :rolleyes:
                    Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
                    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
                    sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 23 2005

I had a bad leak at my pump fitting too.

The flair is bad, so I had to use a small rubber "Gas line O Ring" from Auto Zone inside at the flair, and telfon tape on the threads, untill I can make or buy a new line. It stopped the leak.
                      Last edited by bcomo; August 10, 2007, 01:39 PM.
                      Bart
                      1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

When I ordered my replacement fuel pump for my 60 430 I got one for a Lincoln. I thought I would use it until I got my org. one rebuilt (Didn't see the one on ebay that was an exact fit!) As the inlet and outlet holes are on the same side I attached the filter with a angled fitting and fab some gas line that runs up the driver's side valve cover to the carb inlet. Most of it is under the air cleaner. I did notice that since the line is now up off the manifold the line is a lot cooler when running. Might just leave it the way for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎