No announcement yet.

Frame

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frame

I have been wondering whether or not i should do a full frame off restoration on my 60 tbird. I recieved it a few weeks ago and as I've taken more off I've noticed more that needs to be replaced, as commmonly happens. I was wondering if anyone in here has undertaken this task and could tell me a few tips on these cars. I have been looking at it and it looks like it could be done fairly easily. I really think that this bird needs this as parts of the frame are rusted out. It is an old mississippi bird and it's living in Alabama right now. I have never done a frame off but I have also never done alot of things until I do them. This is my first car I've built for myself. I have experience with late 60's mopars. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You. And remember don't crush them give 'em to me.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Frame

The 1958-60 Thunderbirds are unibody cars - Ford's first. The frame is an integral part of the car that cannot be separated.

People who have done full restorations on these cars take as many parts off the car as possible, including the suspension and drivetrain. The body shell is then put on a jig to support it and make it manuevarable without the car's wheels.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Coastie............one thing to consider

These cars have no seperate frame. They (58-60) are unibody cars. In short.......there are no bolt on fenders ect. The body and frame are a complete shell and only the doors, hood, and trunk can be removed. I have some advice before you get into it. Take the front inner fender well panel off (behind the front wheels) and inspect the areas behind the sheet metal.........and look down inside the rocker panels. Also check underneath where the rocker panels attatch to the body. Do this on both sides. This is where these cars rust out the most. I had the unfortunate experience of purchasing a car where the "real" damage wasnt visible. I repaired it..........but would not do it again............and.........get a shop maunual.

Comment

I appreciate the help. I was wondering if u know the points for jig mounting on the 60s. I plan on getting a restoration manual. Do you recommend any for this type of restoration. I do understand what a unibody is and that this is a unibody. I was unsure of whether or not I would be able to seperate it. I am guessing it is a structural integrity issue? I am sure that I have rust in the areas u were talking about and more. I was able to run a screwdriver from the rear bumber mount to the rear spring mounts and take the entire bottom section of the frame off. It is like this all over the fram though the resst of the car is in decent shape except for the usual spots. Thanks again.
        Brian Costello
        U.S. Coast Guard

Comment

Coastie.........

There is a site called 'PA Bobs 59 convertible" Type it in your search........... he documents the restoration of his 59. It has many pictures and maybe you can get some ideas................ or better yet................go to search and type in "TPLS 63 My topless 1963" Its a site called Squarebirds.com..........click on the 59 drawing . There are pictures of the rotissery that was built for a restoration of a 59. (if you want to be that involved).........besides........it has good pictures of the undersides of the 59.

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

I recommend William Wonder's book on restoring 1958 to 1966 Thunderbirds. Get a shop manual as well.

You can get Mr Wonders book at Amazon and most large book stores.

Alexander
            1959 Hardtop
            1960 Golde Top
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢