X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newbird59
    Experienced
    • Dec 27 2011

69' 429 TJ in a 1960 Thunderbird

A while back I was looking into what engine I wanted to put in my 1960 Thunderbird (I actually started a thread asking about recommendations). When I bought my bird, it had an original 352 that ran really well. I pulled it and sold it to someone and then the fun started! I purchased a 1969 429 TJ (C9VE-A heads C9VE-B block) in rough shape from a guy that buys and sells cars/parts. It's my first offical engine build and I'm almost to the end! I'll post some photos.

Has anyone put a 429/460 into a squarebird?? I know of one other person on here that has (Greg -Dakota Boy). I'm trying to get some help because I don't know about fitment inside the engine bay and also which transmission would be good to have. Any thoughts?

Thanks guys,

David
    1960 Thunderbird
    429 TJ
    C6 Tranny
    Under Construction
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

I have a C6 trans behind my 460. Ribs across the top side of the C6 were shaved off to get the engine as far back as possible. Engine mounts (solid) were homemade (maybe "custom" sounds better).

Unless you change the crossmember, you will need to stick with the stock oil pan, and the intake height will also need to be on the conservative side in order to fit everything under the hood (and not have to cut any holes or add a scoop of some sort).

Valve cover may interfere with the power brake booster and master cylinder, if you have power brakes (I dont).

Other notes: headers can be sourced from fordpowertrain.com, but before you order them, check back with me again so you get the right set.

I dont have power steering, so I cant comment on any fitment issues with squares' that do have the power steering parts underneath.

I put my battery in the trunk, because where the battery sits was a good place for the coolant overflow tank; plus it looks better without the ugly battery under the hood.

And you will need a good shroud or else do like I did and install an electric fan to keep it cool.
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• newbird59
      Experienced
      • Dec 27 2011

Greg,

Since we last spoke, I stuck with the stock oil pan (Stock replacement from Milodon) Summit part #MIL-30745. So this should clear my crossmember

How do you deal without power steering?? I've never had a car without it. I'm also looking into intake manifolds but (like you said) thinking about clearance. Do you have a Performer intake?

Also, do you have a part number for your electric fan setup?? That's what I'm going to do.

Thanks!

David
      1960 Thunderbird
      429 TJ
      C6 Tranny
      Under Construction

Comment

• newbird59
        Experienced
        • Dec 27 2011

Here are some before images of the engine.

These pictures exceeded 800 pixels wide but they can be seen at Photobucket:

Last edited by simplyconnected; November 26, 2013, 12:38 AM. Reason: Pictures exceeded 800px wide
        1960 Thunderbird
        429 TJ
        C6 Tranny
        Under Construction

Comment

• Dakota Boy
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 30 2009

Rock Auto has the fans for right around 100 bucks. Its a factory replacement dual fan with shroud unit; for a '98 Ford Contour with the 6-cyl engine.

Fan = DORMAN Part # 620104

Fan controller = Flex-A-Lite 31163.
          I used the starter solenoid for the large-gauge fused power source wire.
          If you run a search on my posts, you should be able to find some pics I posted about 12 months ago when I installed this stuff. Car will idle all day in hot weather and never get hot. I use water and a bottle of Water Wetter for coolant (car sleeps in a heated garage all winter).

No power steering? Oh well. My dad had a COE International semi truck on the farm years many ago that didnt have that option either. Now THAT was a real bear at slow speeds in the wheat fields.

I have an Edelbrock Performer intake, and a half-inch phenolic spacer under the carb. I have maybe an inch between the hood and the air filter. A Torker II intake is also very low-profile; lower than the Performer I believe.

Comment

• newbird59
            Experienced
            • Dec 27 2011

Awesome! Thank you for that part number! If I remember correctly, you used the stock radiator...right? I still need to see if it's in tip top shape. Know how to check it??

I looked into the Torker II but I'm not sure if it will be useful in my application. I says 2500k RPM plus...what do you think? I may just roll with the performer if that's the case.

Do you happen to have any photos of the front end of your engine??? I'm to the point of picking out a water pump, fuel pump, balancer, alternator..etc. and I don't know how to set this up. I am thinking of running the car without power steering like you do, so that gets rid of one bolt on in the front.

Thanks for your help!!

David
            1960 Thunderbird
            429 TJ
            C6 Tranny
            Under Construction

Comment

• Dakota Boy
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 30 2009

With the electric fan, I had to replace my 60 (Ithink it was 60) amp alternator with one that makes more juice.

Here's a link with some photos from my fan installation last year:

(Disregard the statement in post #1 regarding where I was going to mount the fan controller. That didnt pan out as I planned)

You will need to go to a junk yard and get the wiring with the OEM plugs so you can get the electricity into the fan motors.
              Last edited by Dakota Boy; November 24, 2013, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Dave, I know this is your first engine build but what all are you doing with this 429? What parts are you changing and what machine shop work will be done?

Greg gives good advice regarding the junk yard fans. If you find a Contour fan, they usually cut the wires so the connectors will go with the part. This is also true with alternators.

If you can fabricate, adding a Mustang power steering pump or an alternator isn't that hard to do. Most people want to buy the custom parts off a shelf. But custom parts are usually something you can make for yourself if you can cut steel and pipe. Even the belt adjustment rod is easy if you use a hiem connector and a threaded rod w/jam nut that slides inside a straight pipe:

Click on the picture to see one for four bucks. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• newbird59
                  Experienced
                  • Dec 27 2011

When I got this engine, the guy that sold it to me said it was "rebuilt" recently and to just run it. From that moment forward I didn't really listen to what he had to say about the engine becuase (as you can see from the photos) it was not in any condition to just be thrown in an engine bay and started right up. I think "rebuilt" has a different meaning to everyone so i guess he had his own opinion.

I started the tear down process soon after! It took me a long time to do each step because I'm new to engine work! So here are the things that I have done (or had done) to the engine so far....

*Disassembled the entire block down (including main bearings)

*I honed the cylinder walls with the correct crosshatch for moly rings. I kept the standard bore.

*I chased all the threads on the entire block

*Block was hot tanked and magnafluxed

*New Camshaft bearings were installed

*Block was cleaned after is got back from the shop and also cleaned all passages on the block with engine pipe cleaners. cleaned all the threads again as well.

*New freeze plugs were installed (brass for corrosion purposes)

*Block was taped off and primed/painted with a high temp engine enamel.

*King main bearings were installed. These also were STD size

*Main (2bolt) caps were checked and cleaned

*New ARP main bolts (not studs)

*New King rod bearings

*Rods have been checked and media blasted (stock rod bolts)

*New coated Sealed Power Pistons and pins (pushed not float)

*New Sealed Power piston rings.

*New head gaskets

*New Comp Cams crankshaft part number #34-225-4

*Stock style Milodon oil pan

*Canton Racing 429 windage tray with stud kit

*K&N oil filter

Head work has been done by the shop here in town

*Heads were hot tanked and cleaned
                  *New comp cams valvetrain- springs,valves,retainers etc.
                  *Intake and exhaust ports were kept stock
                  *New Comp Cams High Energy full roller rockers**
                  *BBC 1.75 ARP rocker arm studs w/ 3/8 pushrod guides**

**Not installed yet. Working on pushrod length right now.

Crank work has been done by the shop as well

*Crank has been polished and was not in bad shape so it was also left STD.

Like I said before, i'm new to engine building so any help will be appreciated. I am taking each step very slowly and I have documented every step with photos and high resolution video.

David
                  1960 Thunderbird
                  429 TJ
                  C6 Tranny
                  Under Construction

Comment

• newbird59
                    Experienced
                    • Dec 27 2011

Here are some photos after the block has begun the assembly process. I'll add more when I get home and add some captions.

These images may also be seen at Photobucket:

Last edited by simplyconnected; November 26, 2013, 12:44 AM. Reason: Picture width exceeded 800px.
                    1960 Thunderbird
                    429 TJ
                    C6 Tranny
                    Under Construction

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍