X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StealthSRT10
    Experienced
    • Jun 7 2017

another c6 transmission swap question

I was lucky enough to pick up a fresh 390 short block yesterday for $500. Now the question is do i buy a new c6 to go with it. My cruise o matic leaks like a sive and wont shift into third unless it fully warm.

I also got a c6 trans but it has the wrong tailshaft becasue its out of a 1969 f100 with the 2 piece drive shaft setup.
    I am keeping the flexplate and starter that i got for it.

Looking online at transmissions this one seems to be the best deal. Mind you i have mild power adders like a small cam and offenshouser intake manifold and edelbrock carb. Not a powerhouse but anyways.

1959 Thunderbird 397ci
    Cruise-O-Matic
    Flamingo Pink.
    Thunderbird Registry #8442
    Daily driver
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

I have a C6 in my car. Engine is a 460 though. Bell housing is right up to the firewall crossmember, and I have a Hurst shifter on the console for it. Bell housing ribs were removed on this trans as well, to help with fitment.
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• RustyNCa
      Super-Experienced
      • May 31 2007

I put a C6 in my 58, it went pretty smooth really. I'm not 100% happy with how I have the linkage working. But my problem is more with the linkage hanging up on the exhaust a bit. Linkage worked perfect, then I buttoned up the exhaust and discovered it hangs a bit on the exhaust. Haven't had time to get back around to working on that issue.

I used the stock rear cross-member mount with a slight rework of trans mount. I've read other's changed the location of the rear mount.

Originally posted by StealthSRT10
      I was lucky enough to pick up a fresh 390 short block yesterday for $500. Now the question is do i buy a new c6 to go with it. My cruise o matic leaks like a sive and wont shift into third unless it fully warm.

I also got a c6 trans but it has the wrong tailshaft becasue its out of a 1969 f100 with the 2 piece drive shaft setup.
      I am keeping the flexplate and starter that i got for it.

Looking online at transmissions this one seems to be the best deal. Mind you i have mild power adders like a small cam and offenshouser intake manifold and edelbrock carb. Not a powerhouse but anyways.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/TCI-4...BoCs8oQAvD_BwE

Comment

• StealthSRT10
        Experienced
        • Jun 7 2017

I have found a repetuable shop in Ft Worth that will rebuild my COM. so i will be going that route.
        1959 Thunderbird 397ci
        Cruise-O-Matic
        Flamingo Pink.
        Thunderbird Registry #8442
        Daily driver

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡