Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wazy
    • Feb 25 2009

1960 sunroof car

I found a 1960 T-Bird with a factory sunroof for sale. vin # is 0Y71Y102703 It has power, everything. Not sure if it has AC or not. As a 352 automatic. motor leaks oil, transmission slips, bad or nonexistent brakes. It has new front springs, a gas tank. It's missing the dash pad antenna outside mirror and drivers windows is cracked. don't have any idea what the interior looks like. the two pictures I've seen of the outside it looks decent, actually looks better than decent. with the information that I've given, what do you guys think this bird would be worth? Any and all help would help. Thanks Walt
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

Vin# 102703 is a very early production sunroof Bird. IMO, if she isn't a rustbucket, she is priceless.
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Coral
      Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

According to John Gunnell's Standard Catalog of thunderbirds they only 2,536 buyers ordered the golde top
      http://www.manheimgold.com/car_lo.html

Comment

• Dan Leavens
        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Walt, as Jon ( tbird430 ) has mentioned this 60 with sunroof is rare, as there were not a lot made as Coral stated. The sunroff was made by a company called Golde and was advertised heavily by Ford to promote sales.Having said that, what it is worth is a mystery and would depend on exactly what you will have to put into it $$$$ wise and exactly how far you want to bring it back to original. Is the car local enough that you can go over and see it, drive it OR have someone you know and trust, see it for you. From the evident items that need to be replaced, from your e-mail you are probably already going to put in minimum $5000 - $7500. Without seeing the classic it is hard to determine the value. It's like the old saying " if it's too good to be true, it probably is".
        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• JohnG
          John
          • Jul 28 2003

Can you go see it??? None of the flaws you describe sound terrible to me. Rust is the biggest drawback on any of these and if that is not significant, the rest is common for old cars.

Rust in the floorboards, trunk and especially the rear of the front wheel wells is among what you would look for and no one is going to photograph that - you have to go looking.

Keep at it!

john
          1958 Hardtop
          #8452 TBird Registry
          http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
          history:
          http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• bird 60
            Super-Experienced
            • Mar 18 2009

Hi Walt,
            What you have to work out is not what to pay for the Bird but how much your'e going to spend on it. Go check it out if you can, if you can't ask for as many photos as you can, inside & out. Best of luck.

Chris...From the Land of Oz.

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
              Experienced
              • May 4 2009

this is what i do (but im strange )
              go look at the car really look at it and kinda listen to what the current owner says about it and if you get a good feel about the car think about what your top dollar is and make the offer and dont wavier if it is meant to be yours it will be see i told you im strange but most birds ive looked at were in the 3000.00-4500.00 range needing alot and im gathering from the rarity aspect that should be taken into concideration so thats prolly worth another grand atleast

but who am i go look at it and first determin if you even want it
              57 ford sedan
              60 thunderbird registry number 33404
              69 mustang coupe
              69 roadrunner

Comment

• trim code 76
                Experienced
                • Aug 3 2006

Walt,
                This sounds like a worthy car but there are some very important things that you need to take into account: First... RUST, RUST, RUST!!! You have to REALLY check out squarebirds for rust as they were prone to in very key areas (ie behind the front wheel wells, door rocker area, behind the rear wheel well, floor pans, trunk lids... A good way to check on how solid the car is , is to open the car doors and close them. If they close nice and smooth with a good "thud" then you are looking in good shape. IF they hit the latch plate and ride up into position then you very well may have problems with body integrity/ sagging due to problems with the unibody. Also, interiors and rechroming are EXPENSIVE on these cars. If you can do a lot of the work yourself and / or can stretch it out over years (or are lo$$$aded!!) you can make this work. Also, do you want a driver or show car. Will make a HUGE difference in $$$ you lay out. Not meaning to scare you and I am all for saving all the squarebirds we can and the Golde top 60's are rare so check it out in person if at all possible! Good luck!!! Hope I have helped a little. It is VERY satisfying to bring one back.

Comment

• Coral
                  Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Maybe you can share the pictures you have?
                  Its not anywhere near as good as seeing and touching
                  in real LIFE but our members are purdy good at judging
                  stuff from pictures if their decent enough

Comment

• Wazy
                    • Feb 25 2009

60 T-Bird with sunroof

Thanks for all information you guys can't believe the response I got. The car is quite a ways away from me, but I'm trying to get the guy to send me some pictures. The pictures Ive got.I can't figure out how to post them on this website. It would have responded sooner, but also couldn't figure out how to respond with this website. I'm not very good at figuring out websites again thanks to all of you. And if I can figure it out I will post pictures and see what people say

Comment

• Coral
                      Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Hey Walt...with your comments I am guessing you don't have a photobucket account....if you can send your pics to Ray and he can post them for you

Here are some links you can check out:

http://photobucket.com/

http://picasa.google.com/
                      With picasa, the program will create a web album for you while uploading your pictures

Comment

Hey Wazy,
                        If she is decent at all, and price is right you should jump all over it.
                        I would kill for a Golde Top Edition!!!

Comment

• Coral
                          Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

OK...not coming around you anytime Richard, LOL
                          CRAP! he already has my address! (paid membership)

I'm running and hiding.........

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎