X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gold Bird
    Experienced
    • Nov 9 2007

Changing oil, where to put jacks?

Time to change my oil, where are the best places to raise the front of the car? I can almost reach the oil pan but sure would be better to get the car up in the air some more!
    sigpic1960 Gold Bird, original owner since new. tbirdregistry #3158
  • JohnG
    John
    • Jul 28 2003

behind the bumper and then behind the radiator is a massive crossmember that I put a floor jack under. I put it under the driver's side and it gets me plenty of room to get under there and drain the oil as the drain plug is on the passenger's side. The filter is messy and the challenge is to both catch the oil and also not have it run down your arm.
    1958 Hardtop
    #8452 TBird Registry
    http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
    history:
    http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

I also use a floor jack on that front crossmember, and two jack stands on each side of it -- just in case.

I get the engine good and hot before I change the oil, but it also makes for many ouch-ouch 4 letter words while I'm doing the change.
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430
      Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• Gold Bird
        Experienced
        • Nov 9 2007

I take it that you do not want to put a jack behind the front wheel area by the transmission. On my oil pan for the 352 the drain plug is on the driver side, front pan area. I know our cars are very heavy and did not want to screw anything up! My Father who is 84 would kill me! LOL...

Comment

• JohnG
          John
          • Jul 28 2003

In your case I would then put the floor jack on the passenger's side in front. I recall there is one place where the crossmember nicely fits into the cup of my floor jack and it is a piece of cake. In your case you then have the plug and the filter on the same side which is nice!

I remember the two guys on Car Talk recalling their initial days in Boston with a drive-in, do-your-own-repairs garage. They would stand by in horror as a guy would put the floor jack under the oil pan, lift away and.... well, you know the rest!!

I have to do mine in the next hour or so and would take a photo if you like - no problem.

John

PS (later)having done mine, I find the drain plug on the driver's side as in your case...duh. It's my Subaru which has it on the passenger side... gets alot more oil changes. The jack under the front crossmember works fine and is in front of the filter sufficiently no matter which side you put it on.
          Last edited by JohnG; July 7, 2008, 04:54 PM.
          1958 Hardtop
          #8452 TBird Registry
          http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
          history:
          http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• tbird430
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 18 2007

I do the same as Bart does apparently. Apply the E-Brake and block the back tires (for extra safety).
            sigpic
            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

I really hate to jack up the ole girl so I made me a pair of these to pull her up on to change the oil.There is plenty of room to get at the plug and I don't worry about her falling on my head.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

George ( Colonel ) you are such a resourceful guy and who would have thought of that. By the way, I take it they are your mess around shoes ( if they are your feet in the pix )

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• scumdog
                  Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Normally jack-up using the cross-member under the radiator - and ALWAYS place large slabs of wood under the front wheels and as well I have the car in Park and block the rear wheels with chocks.
                  A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Petrolhead
                    Experienced
                    • Jul 2 2007

I always use axle stands too, under the mounts for the lower suspension arms on my '62, can't be too careful.

Comment

• Gold Bird
                      Experienced
                      • Nov 9 2007

Changed the oil tonight, worked great no problems. Thanks to all for the comments, sorry to be a little slow!

Comment

• tbird430
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jun 18 2007

I usually fill the new oil filter up with fresh oil too before installing....
                        sigpic
                        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• dgs
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Feb 13 2003

Careful using the radiator supports for jack stands. I put them under there doing my suspension rebuild and they dented the radiator support. Not dangerous, but disappointing that it was dented.

Of course, it was up on the stands for about 3 months as opposed to 30 minutes ...
                          DGS (aka salguod)
                          1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                          www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎