X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Possible Tranny Over Fill Problem

I am posting this for Geoffrey, in Malta. Hopefully, ya'll can advise him as to what to do.

Geoffreybusuttilmalta]Hi there.

I`m the guy from Malta,

when i got the car to malta from usa, i noticed that the transmission dip stick was showing signs of no oil. marked ..

So i bought 4.5 ltr automatic transmission oil and poured it in my gearbox. because as from what I understood on the user manual it takes 2 quarts .. which are about 10 ltrs

but today was reading the workshop book a friend sent me. and noticed theres a whole of a procedure to do that.. where all i did was poured the 4.5 ltr in 1 go...

eventually the dipstick is marking far more uppwards than the F mark with oil now.. and after driving it i found auto-transmission oil on the garage floor..

DO you think I overfilled it? and if so ... that may result in damage :s ... i feel really worried bout that now...

i tried to see where to drain it. and the pipe where connects to the bottom of the transmission is really difficult to loosen up... What should I do ... hope you can help me..

regards
    geoffrey

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Geoffrey,

The easiest way to remove the fluid is to use a siphon tube like you would use to siphon gasoline. Put it down the dipstick tube until it bottoms out and use the ball to siphon out the fluid. You should always check the fluid level with the engine running and warmed up. You probably didn't do any damage.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
      Experienced
      • Dec 9 2014

thanks yellowrose and thanks too joe pizzi.. I am more than happy to hear that .. i`ll try to remove the surplus until it shows somewhere by the Full Mark then...

Could it be the reason why after I drive it a little bit for maybe 5 minutes 10 minutes... earlier after I found automatic transmission oil on the ground... ? due to overfillin?

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The fluid level will rise when it gets hot. If it's overfilled it can leak out the dipstick tube. It can also leak out the dipstick tube if the vent fitting is clogged. Can you tell where the fluid is leaking from.

John

Comment

• Tbird1044
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 31 2012

I think there may be some confusion to the metric conversion. 10 Litrers is 10.5 quarts and 2.6 gallons. It appears that you added to much fluid. Warm the car up and adjust the fluid level to the correct level indicated on the dip stick.
          Nyles

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

I agree with these suggestions. A totally dry transmission takes about 11 quarts of transmission oil (or as Nyles said, 10.5 liters). It will not all go in at once because for instance, the torque converter needs to fill. So we fill to the dip stick marks and keep checking and filling while the engine is running. Most dip sticks have printing on them that say to check level with engine running and hot (as John mentioned).

Most automatic transmissions burn up because they are allowed to run with low oil. All the internal parts need to be submerged in transmission fluid so the oil can spread the heat generated by bands and gears. They also have (as Jopizz mentioned) an overflow outlet somewhere. On some, it's at the top of the transmission. On others, it is in the bell housing. Other than a messy floor, I have never found over-filling a transmission to damage it. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
              Experienced
              • Dec 9 2014

not really... i parked it and just found the oil underneath.. today i will drive it again.. and notice where the leak is probably coming from... or will try to find a siphon and attach a tube and start pulling some excess with it...

i willl keep you informed guys... your help is greatly apppreciated

Regards
              Geoffrey

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
                Experienced
                • Dec 9 2014

about the overfilled transmission

Managed to insert a pipe and get the surplus out.

Then I started the engine. at an idling speed I started filling again.. it was between empty and full... i drove it on reverse changed to D1 then D2 and check again... revved it gently and filled to the Full mark..

No more dripping after a short ride ..

seems all is good now!!

Much appreciated guys thanks!

Geoffrey

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. I would check it again after you give it a good long run.

John

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
                    Experienced
                    • Dec 9 2014

Yeppps will do that for sure but today is a rest day .. coz its been 2 days in a row doin 16 hrs in the garage workin ob the bird and the fairlane ... today chill

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎