X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wingman65
    Apprentice
    • Sep 20 2015

61-63 Disc Brake Conversion Help

I have been reading through all the numerous Disc Break Conversion threads on this forum and must say you guys do excellent work. Unfortunately, for me, the majority of these threads are dealing with the 58-60 squarebird. So, what is the best Disc Brake Conversion solution for my 63. ! want this car safe for my wife to drive and be able to STOP. I like the Scarebird bracket, Mustang rotor solution but Scarebird's site lists those brackets for 58-60 but nothing for 61-63. Will the Scarebird brackets work on 63? What is the best and or common Disc Break Conversion for 63 Bulletbird? Look forward to the expertise this community brings to the table.

Tony
  • Wingman65
    Apprentice
    • Sep 20 2015

Nobody here has done the conversion on a 63? Tbirdranch lists their kit as 58-64 but another kit maker notes that the spindle needs to be machined on the 63-64. Has anyone heard of this? This is really frustrating as I would like to do the Scarebird bracket conversion but not sure if I can.

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

61-63 Disc Brake Conversion Help

I do not know of anyone on here who has actually done a disc brake conversion on their Bulletbird. Hopefully, Dave ~ simplyconnected, our webmaster can shed some light on this. I did talk with John ~ jopizz, who has owned a number of Tbirds in the '58-'66 range and he said that he had not done a disc brake conversion on a Bulletbird. His suggestion was to contact Scarebird and ask them if their bracket will work on a Bulletbird. Another suggestion is to contact the several companies who are marketing disc brake component kits and see what they have to say about their kits working on a Bulletbird and what might have to be done to make their kit work on on. I think some advertise that their kits will work on '58-'64 Tbirds. In 1965, Ford changed from drum to disc brakes on their Tbirds.

In searching for a company that manufactures disc brake conversion kits for the Bulletbird, I just found one that I did not know about. They have front and rear disc brake conversion kits for the '55-'64 Birds. However, in 1963-1964, there was a change made by Ford to the spindles, I understand. So this company came out with a kit for the '63-'64 Tbirds. Then, as I said, Ford started putting disc brakes on their Tbirds from the factory. Here is some contact information that I am going to add to our Advertisements Forum. I just talked with this company. They do not use the Scarebird bracket. They manufacture all the parts in their kits themselves he said.

The name of the company is Classic Disc Brakes. Their website is:
      https://www.thunderbirdbrakeparts.co...sion_kits?pg=2 Their phone number is: 888-697-8264, in Colorado. Select their Tech Support option #203 and ask for Bob. Page 1 mostly covers '55-'57 & a '66 Tbird. Page 2 the rest of them.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Wingman65
        Apprentice
        • Sep 20 2015

Thanks for replying Ray, I appreciate it. I found the information I needed from VTCI but it took alot of reading to find. The kits are confusing, 58-60 are straightforward but 61-62 are different as are 63-64. Ford loved to make changes from year to year. I would love to put the 65-66 Kelsey Hayes brakes on this 63 as they are direct bolt on but those parts are nearly unobtanium! I emailed tbirdranch and his kit is bolt on and from research, the only variance is the inside dia of outer bearing on 63-64 birds.

Thanks

Tony

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by Wingman65
          I have been reading through all the numerous Disc Break Conversion threads on this forum and must say you guys do excellent work. Unfortunately, for me, the majority of these threads are dealing with the 58-60 squarebird. So, what is the best Disc Brake Conversion solution for my 63. ! want this car safe for my wife to drive and be able to STOP. I like the Scarebird bracket, Mustang rotor solution but Scarebird's site lists those brackets for 58-60 but nothing for 61-63. Will the Scarebird brackets work on 63? What is the best and or common Disc Break Conversion for 63 Bulletbird? Look forward to the expertise this community brings to the table.

Tony
          Here's my thread on my conversion for my '64. The kits I've seen for my car were generally for 61-64.

I had already done a dual master cylinder conversion 28 years ago. Here's a link to my thread where I replaced that along with a booster, getting a better fit to my larger custom valve covers.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎