No announcement yet.

Timing question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing question

I tore down the motor And installed a new timing gear set. I made sure number one piston was at TDC and the marks were mated up on the timing gear. After installing the heads and manifold I installed the distributor. I hae the rotor on the distributor pointing at the number one cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke.

Now here is my question I put the new cap on the distributor and the number one mark is on the opposite side of the cap pointing near piston 7 I believe. Is this normal and how do I wire the spark plug wires since the rotor is at piston 1 and the number one on The cap is not pointing at number one piston.

Thanks alot
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You are confused about how to set the distributor. Put the distributor cap on the distributor. Mark on the distributor base where the #1 mark is on the cap. This is where you need to have the rotor pointing at TDC. Where the pistons are has nothing to do with it. It's where the spark plug wires are on the cap.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Do I point the rotor at number one on the cap on the compression stroke also?

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yes. The rotor should be pointing at the #1 spark plug wire at TDC on the compression stroke.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Let's back up a bit. First, you need #1 to be on its power stroke, not the exhaust stroke.

Stick a piece of paper loosely in #1 spark plug hole (or just use your finger to shade the hole). Bump the engine until the paper flies out. Using your finger, you will feel a spritz of air. Your timing marks should be close to TDC. Move the crank a little bit so that the timing marks are about six degrees before TDC or so. This isn't critical yet.

Pull your distributor out and turn the housing so the vacuum pancake points toward the radiator and the rotor points toward #1 spark plug tower on the cap. Let's stop right here. When the rotor is pointed at #1 spark plug tower on the cap, it also points toward #6 cylinder. <--this is important. You should be able to draw a visual line from #6 cylinder to the rotor (which is pointing toward it).

Now, drop the distributor housing. This is the tricky part. Your distributor shaft will turn as it goes down so you need to compensate for that. The distributor may not drop all the way if the oil drive shaft doesn't line up perfectly. Simply rotate your crankshaft about 1/3-turn while pressing down lightly on the distributor, and it will drop.

So, end up with the distributor down all the way, the timing marks at about 6 deg BTDC, and the rotor facing directly at #1 spark plug tower (which also points toward #6 cylinder). If your rotor lands between spark plug towers, do it again but move over one tooth. Most distributor caps have a "1" at the correct tower, looking down on it. Then, insert the hold-down bolt and time your engine. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Thanks alot Dave! you have been a great help through my adventure with my restoration. If I am closer to 0 degree TDC on the crank can I compensate when i go to start it by adjusting the distributor or should I have it BTDC?

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

There isn't much difference in distributor rotation between TDC and 6-degrees BTDC. That's why I said it isn't critical yet. If you followed my instruction there should be plenty of room to turn the distributor when you time it.

The important part is, don't settle for being one tooth off. When you time your engine, the rotor should be pointed at #1 spark plug tower, not in between towers.

If you're a tooth off, swapping wires around won't compensate for it either. Hold the rotor as you pull the distributor up and do it again, you can feel the gears mesh at the bottom. Each tooth represents '33-degree steps', which is a lot. So, 'hitting the right one' isn't that hard.
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎