X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidmij
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 17 2011

top loader transmission question

Just a quick question gents, what sealer (if anything) should I seal the top plate on my top loader with?

thx, Dave J
  • scumdog
    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

A 'proper' gasket.

Or if a long way from one a bead of suitable RTV.

But I believe the proper gasket also screens the vent in the 'lid' from oil being thrown out.

(All from memory!!!)
    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• davidmij
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 17 2011

Thx Tom!
      It has a gasket that is in great shape, and it has the full cover top with the tiny hole for a vent. It's pretty much brand new. But i noticed a clear silicon like sealer on it so I wasn't sure if I could just put it back on, or if I need to clean the old sealer off the metal and bolt it back on as is.

Another quick question if anyone knows; I need to find out what kind of mount the transmission can use to work with my 59 T-bird. The car had an automatic. The toploader I'm installing lines up perfectly with the existing mount and drive shaft, but it's the wrong type of mount. The 4 speed is out of a 69 Fairlane 428 which was different. I can't find any data or info anywhere on line so far. Anyone know of any resource for this?

thx again, Dave J

Comment

• Jimz Bird
        Experienced
        • Feb 3 2011

I've read on other forums that this guy, David Kee, is real good.

Also another one I stumbled on recently was:

I don't know anything about this last one and only going on what I have heard on David Kee.

HTH
        Jim
        Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
        sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• KULTULZ

The cover gasket should be installed only with chassis grease spread evenly and sparingly over both sides to make the gasket fully pliable. Torque fasteners to spec (check for flatness of pan rails as on oil or tranny pan install).

If no gasket is available, a small continuous bead of BLACK RTV

Comment

• davidmij
            Super-Experienced
            • Jan 17 2011

Thx everyone, I think the gasket is necessary because the lid has a tiny vent hole, and the gasket is a full sheet with two small holes to let it breathe without splashing out the top vent hole.
            I'll check the David Kee's web site for mounts etc., I remember seeing stuff from his site when I was shopping for a toploader.

Man, piecing this 4 speed set up together with a 1967 390 and a 1969 4 speed has been tough. Finding the z-bar and all the associated parts to work on it has taken a LOT of time. I'm almost there though!

Dave J.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by davidmij

Man, piecing this 4 speed set up together with a 1967 390 and a 1969 4 speed has been tough. Finding the z-bar and all the associated parts to work on it has taken a LOT of time. I'm almost there though!

Dave J.
              The satisfaction of the upgrade will be measured in the size of your smile when you take her out...

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎