X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rock&Roll Firebird
    Experienced
    • Jun 20 2012

Easy antifreeze refill ?

Hello guys, need to add about 3 quarts of antifreeze to the cooling system for the winter as presently the antifreeze concentration in very low. I guess I need to remove the bottom water hose to remove the coolant from the engine but what next:

a) do I need to remove the expansion tank with the thermostat to refill the engine?
    b) what it takes to make sure that the coolant is properly mixed in the engine and more importantly in the radiator?

Thanks a lot.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The radiator has a drain fitting. You don't have to remove the hose. You don't need to remove the expansion tank either to refill. Remove the cap from the expansion tank. Open the radiator drain fitting and drain out all the coolant. Close the drain fitting. Then refill with a 50/50 mix of coolant and water until the level is at the bottom of the expansion tank. Start the engine with the cap off and run it until you see the coolant start to flow through the thermostat. You can also move the heater control over to hot so it flows through the heater core.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• bird 60
      Super-Experienced
      • Mar 18 2009

John, Just a curious question for myself & others.

Is it best to drain the old fluid when the water is hot, or it doesn't matter. After switching the engine off of course.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That's a good question. Oil should be drained when it's hot but I don't know if that applies to coolant. For safety I've always waited until it cools down.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

We change oil when it's hot because the viscosity is thinner and hopefully some contaminants are suspended in it rather than settled to the bottom. Antifreeze doesn't matter because it's always thin.
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
            Experienced
            • Jun 20 2012

This sounds lot easier than I originally thought. Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎