Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More frustrating than working on the quarter windows of a Squarebird?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

More frustrating than working on the quarter windows of a Squarebird?

Is there anything more frustrating than working on the quarter windows of a Squarebird? I don't think so. The design of those quarter windows is simply diabolical. They never really work right. The channel in the quarter window gets bowed, because it is just pot metal. Worst of all, there is no access. I rarely touch my rear windows on my car, because I know they are so problematic.

When I had my control arms put in, someone must have touch the left rear button. The window got jammed in the halfway down position. I open, the panel and found that eh roller were missing/broken and the small rear track was mission. Luckily I had a spare.

I could not remove the quarter window so I could unbow it. I don't know how I did it in the past. I did install mew rollers and the missing channel, so it now works.

It would have been so nice if they had an access panel for that mechanism. I wonder how they installed that mechanism in the factory. I know many new cars such as Lincoln Town cars have the motor/regulator put in before the door is stamped. The bodies of the Squarebirds were put together by Budd and sent to Wixom. I don't think the regulator was put in then.

Anybody else have experience with there quarter windows and can offer advice?
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

I noticed when putting in the rear channel for the quarter window that is am asymmetrical design. I looked in the Ford parts book and there there is only one part number. Two are required per car.

I wonder maybe that this is one of the reasons the quarter windows are trouble prone.

Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

You're right, it looks like there should have been a left and right hand part number.

When I first bought my bird, I needed to install the windlace. Naturally, for the rear, I had to remove the rear arm rest and side panel. So, while I was at it, I adjusted the rear window stops to align the rubber seal on the egde of the quarter window.

Up and down many times went the window while I adjusted the stops to get it just right. I didn't have a shop manual at the time, and just winged it.

Now that I know better, the rear windows stay up.

Ignorance is Bliss.
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430
      Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• peeeot
        Experienced
        • Oct 23 2005

I've spent hours messing with my rear quarters. The splash shields were missing on my car, so I had to fabricate new ones and seal them. While I was in there, I lubricated the window tracks and tried to adjust the whole mechanism as well as possible. It lines up perfectly on the passenger side, but is only passable on the driver side. I even tried adjusting the door on its hinges to help the situation, but that is another headache all on its own.

I don't have the window crank handles installed for the rear windows. The only advice I can give is to come with patience

Comment

• Dan Leavens
          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

I hear you guys, on the rear quarters keep them up. Last year my wife had her side down and thought she had put the rear quarter up all the way. In their wisdom, Ford engineers, the rear quarters just B4 fully closing, go off vertical just a touch B4 sealing shut. She closed the passenger door not knowing this and bam the passenger window cracked from impact. She felt bad but had no idea the rear quarter was not fully closed.
          I had to get a new one from the TBird Nest $100.00 and have it swapped out for the old one. I agree do not open.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

Yes, you see a lot of Squarebirds with broken door glass because when the mechanism of the quarter window gets won and deformed, it overrides to far to the front. Windows overlap - instant broken door glass.
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

• FeFranco
              Experienced
              • Jan 13 2007

I am, believe it or not, still trying to install my door windows (3+ weeks). For some reason the rear of the window tilts 1" higher than the front, on my drivers side door, when its all the way up and I don't know why. I took out the window and regulator yesterday and plan on starting all over tomorrow. I also need to adjust the rears when I am done with the doors. I finally got a call today from Tbird headquarters that my power window motor is in after I burnt it out when I was trying to install the passenger side window. I am losing my patience and wasting a lot of time on this thankless effort.

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

Do you have have the two rubber coated stops for the window?

Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

• dgs
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Feb 13 2003

You mean this job is going to be more frustrating than the suspension rebuild? Yikes.

I'm starting to be thankful that my power windows don't work. That's next year's project, to get those working.

Unfortunately, those of us with convertibles can't really leave the quarters up. Looks kinda dorky.
                  DGS (aka salguod)
                  1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                  www.salguod.net

Comment

• RustyNCa
                    Super-Experienced
                    • May 31 2007

Originally posted by FeFranco
                    I am, believe it or not, still trying to install my door windows (3+ weeks). For some reason the rear of the window tilts 1" higher than the front, on my drivers side door, when its all the way up and I don't know why. I took out the window and regulator yesterday and plan on starting all over tomorrow. I also need to adjust the rears when I am done with the doors. I finally got a call today from Tbird headquarters that my power window motor is in after I burnt it out when I was trying to install the passenger side window. I am losing my patience and wasting a lot of time on this thankless effort.
                    So I take it the guy that rebuilt my motors for me was a bust eh?

Comment

Hello all. I broke my front door glass. very bad day! I have to leave the back window down a little for clereance. I haven't
                      looked in there yet but i looked in my 66 and no fun job either. I bought my 60 from the first owner and leave it to me to brake the D--m window. .............................bill

Comment

• FeFranco
                        Experienced
                        • Jan 13 2007

Originally posted by RustyNCa
                        So I take it the guy that rebuilt my motors for me was a bust eh?
                        Sorry I didn't get back to you Rusty, but the guy said he didn't do rebuilds on older cars anymore. Parts availability was getting very difficult.

Comment

• FeFranco
                          Experienced
                          • Jan 13 2007

[QUOTE=Alexander;16414]Do you have have the two rubber coated stops for the window?

When the rear stop is adjusted for hieght it causes the front of the window to tilt away from the top point of the vent window. I believe that I have to minipulate the regulator somehow.

Comment

• Alexander
                            Webmaster
                            • Oct 30 2002

Originally posted by dgs
                            You mean this job is going to be more frustrating than the suspension rebuild? Yikes.

I'm starting to be thankful that my power windows don't work. That's next year's project, to get those working.

Unfortunately, those of us with convertibles can't really leave the quarters up. Looks kinda dorky.
                            Look at the bright side. Those of you with convertibles have an easier time getting those quarter windows out so you can straighten the pot metal channel, the rear channel and replace the rollers.
                            Alexander
                            1959 Hard Top
                            1960 Golde Top
                            sigpic

Comment

• FeFranco
                              Experienced
                              • Jan 13 2007

A lesson to all. Measure twice cut once. I had brought both of my door windows to a glass shop for replacement. Well, you know what happens when you assume. After talking to the guy at the shop I really believed that he would cut the window correctly simply do it right. After I fiddled with the driver side window for over a month, I finally removed it once again and compared it to the passenger side window. Well, the window was cut incorrectly and that is why it doesn't fit. The vent window side is about 1/2" lower than rear. Lesson learned; double check others work with your own.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎