X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charles Nix
    Apprentice
    • Apr 5 2012

Sagging rear end & Shock Absorbers

Any thoughts on how best to raise sagging rear end on 60 H.T. about 1 to 1.5 inches?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You can try turning the rear spring shackles around if it hasn't already been done. That was done on my '59 before I got it and I've been toying with the idea of changing it back or leaving it that way. It does raise the back quite a bit.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• mmuenchow
      Apprentice
      • May 21 2008

do it right

Like Dad always said do it once and do it right. New springs ,bushings,and u-bolts..It is a cheep fix that will make it ride like new.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 30 2009

Best price on new leaf springs will be from these guys:

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

I bought a set of leafs from Mc Veigh. This was funny... His business is quite a bit north of me but he was coming down to south Michigan to see his son in Ann Arbor. On his way down, he met my cousin on the highway to do the cash transaction.

I mounted those springs and I couldn't be happier. The back end used to sag so much the tail pipe scraped driveway aprons. The ride used to be stiff. Not any more. These springs hold the rear end higher, the ride is much softer, and the shocks now control the ride much better.

Buy Mc Veigh springs for your Squarebird. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Charles Nix
            Apprentice
            • Apr 5 2012

Sagging

Will do.......thanks.

Comment

• LuckyJay
              • Jan 4 2007

My rear end sags, as well. But, the T Bird is fine! I couldn't resist. Sorry.

Comment

• Yadkin
                Banned
                • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by LuckyJay
                My rear end sags, as well. But, the T Bird is fine! I couldn't resist. Sorry.
                Instead of jogging, try interval running. 100 meter walk, 400 meter run at about 80%, repeat.

Comment

• Tbird1044
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jul 31 2012

I had my springs completely rebuilt and re arched but the rear of the car still seems to be sitting low. I actually think this is common to the Squarebird. I have been looking around and there are air shocks available on Ebay for the Squarebird. I checked out he specs and the air shock total travel is a little less than specification, but I'm almost willing to try it. I have an air shock pump that I think I could modify and use. Anyone ever tried the air shocks on a Squarebird???

Comment

• Yadkin
                    Banned
                    • Aug 11 2012

No, but I wouldn't use air shocks on any car. They put stress where it's not designed to go. If you want a higher ride height, there are plenty of simple ways to achieve that by modifying springs or shackles.

Comment

• Charles Nix
                      Apprentice
                      • Apr 5 2012

Air shocks - NO!

I have them on mine, and the ride is terrible - stiff and bouncy. That's why I posted this thread. A mechanic I know says he can insert a 1" aluminum block bolted to the body and through the rear leaf spring to raise it up some and put regular shocks on it to replace the air shocks. Any comments on this type of fix? I also found a supplier who has coil over shocks that have adjustable ride height, but not sure if this would be any better than air shocks. Otherwise, I'm leaning towards new leaf springs and shocks. Input would be appreciated.

Comment

• yellow98cobra
                        Experienced
                        • May 28 2012

I installed new leaf springs from McVeighs...

I installed new leaf springs from McVeighs & Monroe shocks from Rock Auto.
                        The old leaf springs I removed had the shackles turned up inside and it set a lot lower. The manual doesnt really say how these should go. I called the mechanic I use and he said they should hang down. If anything the car maybe sitting to high now.
                        Attached Files
                        Yellow98Cobra
                        1960 Thunderbird HT
                        Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
                        There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
                        http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

They came from the factory with the shackles turned inside so the back sat lower.

John
                          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• RustyNCa
                            Super-Experienced
                            • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Tbird1044
                            I had my springs completely rebuilt and re arched but the rear of the car still seems to be sitting low. I actually think this is common to the Squarebird. I have been looking around and there are air shocks available on Ebay for the Squarebird. I checked out he specs and the air shock total travel is a little less than specification, but I'm almost willing to try it. I have an air shock pump that I think I could modify and use. Anyone ever tried the air shocks on a Squarebird???
                            You could always use my approach, lower the front to give the car some rake to match the rear.

But then again, not all live my motto.... "Praise The Lowered"

Cheers
                            RustyNCA

Comment

• yellow98cobra
                              Experienced
                              • May 28 2012

Originally posted by jopizz
                              They came from the factory with the shackles turned inside so the back sat lower.

John
                              do you have any pictures?
                              I searched and searched on here but could never find any pictures or any difinitive answer.
                              Yellow98Cobra
                              1960 Thunderbird HT
                              Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
                              There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
                              http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎