Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pirate
    • Mar 28 2004

axles

All Squarebirds had large bearing 28 spline axles, which the axles were larger than the regular Ford. Police cars, taxies and station wagons had the same. Much stonger setup than the regular.

Comment

59 t-bird differential

.Hi all, I just finished a complete rebuild of my rear, changed gearing from 3.10- 3.50 with a new trac-lok. It made a big difference on low end and run very nice when cruising. Of co**** it didn't stop there ended up changing brake cyl's, new spring kit all new brake lines, alternator brackets were wrong, and gas pedal linkage was not set proper. runs like a totally different car. Question does anyone know where I can get a double master cyl. that's compatible with original brake system. Thanks to everyone for all the good information. You all are the BEST" Tommy"

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Tommy,

Sounds like you've been busy. Glad to hear that all the changes you've made have worked out. As far as a dual master cylinder a drum/drum master cylinder that fits a '68 Mustang will work. They are readily available. It should come with a new push rod. You will probably have to modify the rod where it connects to the brake pedal. I believe the hole is a different size. I was planning on adding one to my '59 but haven't got around to it yet.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

59 t-bird differential

Originally posted by jopizz
          Tommy,

Sounds like you've been busy. Glad to hear that all the changes you've made have worked out. As far as a dual master cylinder a drum/drum master cylinder that fits a '68 Mustang will work. They are readily available. It should come with a new push rod. You will probably have to modify the rod where it connects to the brake pedal. I believe the hole is a different size. I was planning on adding one to my '59 but haven't got around to it yet.

John
          John I was busy and froze my butt off. We had heat but on a dirt floor it was cold, but my son had some free time so I had to do it. I think I'm good to go, but will feel better with a double, had a bad wreck in early 60's lost brakes. Thanks for the information. John Merry Christmas & Happy Healthy New Year to you and family. Tommy"

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by tommy cruise
            John Merry Christmas & Happy Healthy New Year to you and family. Tommy"
            Tommy,

Thanks and the same to you and yours. Let's hope for a short winter and an early spring.

John

Comment

• Dakota Boy
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 30 2009

I have a dual (drum/drum master; no power brakes) cylinder that I added to my car a few winters ago. It was for a late 60's Mustang, like John says above. I think it stops fine; once I got all four wheels adjusted. Purchased at NAPA.

I also had to mess around with the pushrod like he said.
              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

59 t-bird differential

Tommy,

Thanks and the same to you and yours. Let's hope for a short winter and an early spring.

John
                Thanks John" I second that . John one more question. My power booster is under dash. Do I get a 68 mustang w/power brakes and any engine, or am I supposed to ask for a special model and engine. Thank You Tommy"

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The engine doesn't matter. You want the one for manual brakes, 1" bore.

John

Comment

59 t-bird differential

The engine doesn't matter. You want the one for manual brakes, 1" bore.

John
                    John I can't thank you enough. I'll let you know how it turns out. I probably won't be doing it for another month. Tommy"

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎