Which dual master cylinder to use

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which dual master cylinder to use

Hey there all,
    I'm looking to modify my '66 to a dual master cylinder system. I can't find any "kits" online to make it easier. I know I'll need a disc/drum type m/c, but don't know what will fit the '66. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed with this conversion?

thanks much in advance,
    Dan
    1966 Silver Rose Metallic Town Landau
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

I would call either Classic Performance Products, ABS Power Brake, Inc. or MasterPower Brakes.

ABS Power has a ecatlog page dedicated to 61 to 66 Birds. They show a 7-inch dual diaphram booster and master cynl kit that they claim will mount in the stock location.

Classic Performance has some nice looking stuff, but they seem to lean toward GM product support

MasterPower doesn't show any products for 58~78 Birds...

Hope this helps you.

Classic Performance Products,chassis parts for Chevy and Ford cars and trucks. Kits and parts for steering,brakes,suspenion systems

Comment

• Hawkrod
      Experienced
      • Oct 31 2005

Originally posted by columbia
      Hey there all,
      I'm looking to modify my '66 to a dual master cylinder system. I can't find any "kits" online to make it easier. I know I'll need a disc/drum type m/c, but don't know what will fit the '66. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed with this conversion?

thanks much in advance,
      Dan
      1966 Silver Rose Metallic Town Landau
      On mine, I used one for an F100 with drum brakes (I did a 4 wheel disc swap and wanted equal size reservoirs). I think if you have front disc and rear drum then a 73 F100 will work perfect. You do need to adjust the power booster push rod to the spec for a 73 truck but otherwise it will bolt right on and work fine. Hawkrod

Comment

• RustyNCa
        Super-Experienced
        • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Hawkrod
        On mine, I used one for an F100 with drum brakes (I did a 4 wheel disc swap and wanted equal size reservoirs). I think if you have front disc and rear drum then a 73 F100 will work perfect. You do need to adjust the power booster push rod to the spec for a 73 truck but otherwise it will bolt right on and work fine. Hawkrod
        Since I just bought another 65, I checked on this. A master for a 73 F100 in two wheel drive only runs $38. The parts guy told me the two wheel drive was a disk/drum setup.

The parts guy suggested I look into replacing the booster as well, not sure why that would be needed?

Comment

Hey thanks

Thanks for the info gents. I'll give it a try. The engine is being rebuilt now and as soon as I get her back, I'll get to work on it.

Dan Robertson
          1966 Silver Rose Metallic Town Car

Comment

I've heard Mustang and granada thrown around on this subject........

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎