No announcement yet.

1960 Thunderdird Clock

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

1960 Thunderdird Clock

Does somebody know what the resistance of the of the solenoid is that winds the clock spring is? I have sent for a clock and a bezel for a 1960 Thunderbird. The thought is to make a desk clock out of it. Just wondering how much current the clock will draw. The clock in my car has been converted to a quarts movement, so I can't measure it. I have found some power supplies that will supply 750 ma but don't know if that is enough.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

It's very low resistance because as soon as the coil energizes and motion starts, the contacts open. So it takes a lot of current for milliseconds.

I know a six volt car battery will energize the solenoid, so again, current will be high. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

2.5 ohms

I used a 15V 800ma wall transformer on mine with an in line fuse for safety - I bet the 750ma will work fine.

Those solenoids are noisy on the desk - you'll hear it go "bump in the night" - - (every few minutes). Use some rubber feet on the base - it's amazing how much sound the interior of the car absorbs.

Good luck - post a pic of yours when you get it done!!!!!

Eric

Comment

Eric
        You did a nice job on the clock and the car is a nice touch. Now I have to find a small car. Were did you find yours? The pads on the base are a good idea I don't think my sweetie would like the noise at night. I have two clocks ordered from the Thunderbird Ranch I thought a spare would be a good idea. I think my delivery date is the 12th which is tomorrow. I found a transformer at the goodwill store for $.95. It is labeled 14.5vdc (no load) at 750ma. I will let you know if it runs the clock. If it does will let it run for an hour or so and then check the transformer for heat.

Larry

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

Thanks Larry,

Retired fellow made the wooden portion for me - actually had him make two. Put together two desk clocks and gave one to my best friend for his birthday

Car is a 1/24 scale model by Aurora plastics off ebay. I painted it to match my car.
          Here is one like I used....... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Auro...item3a8874b3db

Got my power supply at the same store! Great place to buy stuff like that. Mine never heats up. I put the fuse in thinking that the clock might develop a problem and short out - didn't want to burn the house down. I'll check on the fuse size I used.

Eric

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1960 Thunderdird Clock

Hi Larry, I see you said you got two clocks ordered from the Thunderbird Ranch! I just tried John Draxler's website and it is not up. I was beginning to think that he had passed on.. I have tried to get a reply out of him off and on for months. He never returns my emails, or responds to my phone calls. So assumed that he might not be with us anymore on this earth... I have had any number of people tell me that they cannot get in contact with him either, and they get no responses from him. If anyone knows his status, it would be good to know... Good luck on getting your clocks!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

I paid John via PayPal but haven't heard a word since. I will try to contact him tomorrow via phone. I did send him a e-mail but no response. I hope he is ok, also referred a fellow to him from the UK. He wanted two doors for a 1960 HT. I haven't checked e-mails today so just might have a message from him.

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1960 Thunderdird Clock

I hope you can get in contact with him. The problem that others have told me is the same thing that I have experienced. It is very hard to get in contact with him by phone or by email. I have tried over many months, to contact him both ways and get no response back, as is what the others have told me also. I hope you can get a response from him, and please let us know if you do... or don't...

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

Hi Ray
                  I just tried to contact him via phone no luck. Left a message at 0955 today 12-12-13. I will try via e-mail.

Comment

Ray I just checked and he sent me a PayPal bill on 12-06-13 I pad him via PayPal on that date. No response at this time from him.

I will try to call him again today.

Comment

Hi Ray
                      I sent him an e-mail this morning, it hasn't come back as undeliverable. so his mail box is still in use. I placed the order via e-mail I think around the 2nd or 3rd of December. I tried to call twice today and got no answer. Is there any way I can get in touch with him? Somebody answered my e-mail and sent me a PayPal invoice on the 12/06/13. In my e-mail I asked him for two headlight doors right and left. I wanted to strip and polish them. Ha said the doors cold not be polished as they are pot metal. The ones I have are aluminum, I have striped and polished a spot on the back side.

Larry

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1960 Thunderdird Clock

Larry, the only way I know of to get in contact with him is via email or the phone. Both of which he has not answered me on the times I have tried to get in contact with him. Unfortunately, I am hearing the same thing from others who have tried to order parts from him. I have no idea what is going on with him, and if anyone knows, please let us know. The fact that you got a response to your order helps. All you can do, that I know of, is hope that he honors your order and ships it. As for the two headlight doors, I don't know if they can be "polished" but I certainly know they can be chromed, pot metal or not. Many have had them chromed, mine included, as part the external chrome "kit". Let us know how you come out regarding your order.

Comment

Hi Ray
                          John e-mailed me yesterday with a tracking # at 0745. But the tracking # shows the package as out for delivery today in Rochester, IN 46975. I don't live in Rochester, IN I live in Post Falls, ID 83854. I called him on the phone he answered. He said that he saw my e-mails add he would clear it up today. I asked him how he was doing he said he was just fine
                          I asked about the weather he said they are having a heat wave @ 18 degrees. So I don't know what is going on with him but will keep you informed.

Larry

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1960 Thunderdird Clock

Hi Larry! Welll, ya got a response out of him, even if he did ship it to the wrong place. I wonder what he is gonna do about retrieving that?! He probably has others he can send you if he can't get them back. It is good to know that he is okay. I have always wondered why he does not respond to others who try to buy from him, or contact him regarding information...

Comment

The clock's arrived and a wall transformer has been powering one all night. The transformer is a 12vdc 750 ma one. I picked it up at the good will thrift store for $ .95. The transformer isn't even warm to the touch so it will work just fine.

Larry

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎