X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeoffInCarlsbad
    Experienced
    • Jul 4 2015

Has Any Done a Bullet Bird conversion?

I am not finding that anyone has done a full disc brake conversion on the Bulletbird. I see folks attempted them on earlier and later versions....and I am concerned not of the installation, but what are the dominoes, like the tower strut issues, am I going to run into?

If there is anyone who has done one on a 61-63 model, please let me know.
    Geoff In Carlsbad
    1961 Thunderbird Convertible aka: Betty:cool:

sigpic

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I have seen pictures of conversions done. I can't seem to find any at the moment however. I do remember that the strut brace had to be raised where it bolts to the shock tower to clear the master cylinder cap. Ray makes a good suggestion about using a flat cap. You may want to email the seller of the kit and see if he has any pictures of completed installations. Tell him that you know for a fact that the brace will not clear the master cylinder without modification and see what he says.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
        Experienced
        • Jul 4 2015

Great Idea!

I have already emailed the seller and asked that same question! I am getting smarter! Thanks John!
        Geoff In Carlsbad

sigpic

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

Pictures of the brace modification here, posts 22 and 23.

Note that I chose a "slim line" booster, which not only cleared my Offenhauser valve covers but reduced (not eliminated) the conflict with the brace.

Basically, I made two small cuts on the backside of the U shaped brace to allow for the width of the conflicting part, bent the steel under (making the 90 a 180), then a little tweaking with a ball peen hammer to form over the master cylinder cover. There's about a toothpick's clearance.

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
            Experienced
            • Jul 4 2015

That's what I was looking for...thanks

Thank you. I had seen that earlier but could not find the thread again. Thanks for helping me out.

I see that the MC and the Tower Strut overlap. Do that bang into each other?
            Geoff In Carlsbad

sigpic

Comment

• Yadkin
              Banned
              • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by GeoffInCarlsbad
              Do that bang into each other?
              I'm unsure how to explain it better than I already have. There is a clearance issue, easily solved.

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
                Experienced
                • Jul 4 2015

Got it.

Got it. Thanks.
                Geoff In Carlsbad

sigpic

Comment

• stubbie
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 7 2011

Not sure about the fit on 61-63 models but on a 64 some people use a 66 shock tower brace top which has a curve in it.

Comment

• booalou
                    Apprentice
                    • Jun 7 2007

Update

After removing the calipers to check the pads to see how they are seating to the rotors we found they are not. So we pull the grackets off and reinstall torquing each bolt. Even after this and isolating the rear brakes we still don't have a peddle.

Things we noticed

1. Passenger side bracket flexing much more then drivers side. Wouldn't expect to see the brackets flexing at all.

2. Instead of the pads sitting flush on the robots they're sittin like a "V" with only a small portion at the bottom of the pad touching. When you apply pressure to the brake the bracket has to flex for the pad to strike evenly.

I'm at the point to ask for a refund the kit infrastructure is not machined correctly in my eyes.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Bob, the bracket needs to fit square and tight. I cannot speak for 'Tom's' but I can for Scarebird brackets. They have no stack of bolts or spacers. The brackets come as one piece with all necessary hardware welded in place:

Just three bolts and a spindle spacer. All the rest bolts on and is purchased locally:

I re-used my bearings and dust caps to save money. I bought new hoses (banjo bolts with washers) and seals.

If the hardware doesn't fit, make Tom pay for shipping back to him. I hope he straightens out his products. Thanks for posting and letting us know what's going on. - Dave
                      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• booalou
                        Apprentice
                        • Jun 7 2007

Brackets

The brackets on mine are two piece one bolting the the spindle frame then the other bolts to the bracket. Unfortunately they aren't square looks like a "V" and cause the caliper to flex a lot. The pads don't fit flush with only the lower part of the pad touching the rotor. So when you apply pressure to the brakes the caliper has to move sideways to close the V.

At this point I either need them to refund the entire kit or send me new rotors, brackets and seals.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

Bob, were it me I would take the position of, in good faith you purchased a brake system that Tom claimed would work. It doesn't so the product is misrepresented. Tom should refund ALL your money including shipping charges. Then he should offer an apology for wasting your time.

Am I taking a 'hard line'? Not at all. Suppose you planned on installing this product next year, which is often done in long term restorations. You would simply be out of luck with no recourse. (Rebates work the same way; they know some folks never apply for the rebate while others lose the check OR the check is never issued. BTW, they require 6-8 weeks for a rebate which makes a return nearly impossible.) - Dave
                          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• booalou
                            Apprentice
                            • Jun 7 2007

Hoping

Dave I guess I'll find out tomorrow what there position will be. I've already talked briefly with EBay to see what options I have.

The refund issue and the time I spent doing the install maybe an issue but the fact that I'm disabled with MS the time I spent is about as normal as I can do. Working only weekends on the car in the fact that 90% of the time spent was bleeding and trying to get a peddle I hope that will understand. So far Chris at Tom Classics has been understanding but we'll wait and see what the response is tomorrow

Comment

• booalou
                              Apprentice
                              • Jun 7 2007

Tom Classics response

I received a response this morning from To Classics. That want to see picture proofing there's a problem with the machine work. I'll supply what I can but believe I'll have to fight for a refund

Comment

• Yadkin
                                Banned
                                • Aug 11 2012

Very confusing thread here since at least two guys are doing a conversion. As I said in post 5 Tom has a quality control problem with his machine work that I found on my '64 kit. Yours may be similar. He grinds down the caliper where it contacts his custom bracket and on one of mine wasn't ground down enough.

My problem manifested itself as a howl when turning left unless I was also applying brake pressure.

Tom told me that the calipers were stock S-10 parts so I got a replacement locally for cheap. When I tried to bolt on the new caliper I found it contacted the bracket in two spots. I then carefully inspected Tom's caliper and found that he had ground them down at these two points, just not enough. The silver paint that he uses on the caliper makes the grinding work difficult to see.

So before you toss out the whole kit and send it back, carefully inspect to see if you don't have a similar problem.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎