This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:23 PM

Shawncfc is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel sender unit

Has anyone used the sending unit sold by macs auto on a 58? They have one that says universal so I'm wondering if it would drop right in or do I have to make it fit. Or maybe there is one available somewhere else that works better
Old 05-15-2018, 07:29 PM
Apprentice

Hogan is on a distinguished road

You may want to try RockAuto

Spectra pn: FG98A

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ding+unit,4436
Old 05-15-2018, 07:30 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Buy one from Rockauto.com. They have two listed. Both are identical to the original plus we get a 5% discount.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-15-2018, 08:11 PM

Thanks I ordered the one for 59 bucks. Hope it comes with a gasket
Old 05-16-2018, 11:01 AM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

I had the fuel sending unit replaced with the new fuel tank installation. Is there a way to calibrate the sending unit other than trial and error?

The old unit only read to 3/4 full with a full tank, but the tank still had gas when the gauge read close to E. The new sending unit reads F when full, but the tank is 3/4 empty at the 1/2 mark.

Dean
Old 05-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel sender unit

Dean, the information on adjusting the Fuel and Temperature gauge is in the Technical Resource Library (TRL). Here is the link to it. Check it out.

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g..._adjusting.htm

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-16-2018, 04:43 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Dean:
I has some similar issues and finally figured out I had the wrong sending unit. Bought another one and things worked fine.
I did check the sending unit when it was out of the gas tank by hooking it up and moving the float from the full down to full up position to see how the gauge would respond. There is a slow response time so take your time if you decide to check it this way. I think it is an easier step than messing with the gas gauge itself.
I can't remember if the sending unit is oriented with a tab for position in the tank, but I think it is. As I recall, the float arm should be pointing towards the front of the car. If not it could be bottoming on the bottom of the tank and not reading the gas level. Just a thought.
Also the manual says to use 2 flashlight batteries (3V) and connect that to the fuel gauge. With the 3V supplied it should read "approximately full".
Nyles
Nyles
Old 05-16-2018, 10:00 PM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ray and Nyles.

I recall the previous owner explaining he set the sending unit so the tank wouldnít be empty before the needle pointed to E. So he had a problem with the tank going empty prior to the needle pointing to E. Thatís why he adjusted the sender so he wouldnít run out of fuel when the gauge read 1/4.

I suppose it is possible that when my gauge reads half, I might have about 7 gallons left, or so. Thatís just an estimate. And the gauge runs to E normally.

Dean
Old 05-19-2018, 09:21 AM

Yep hole in the float. Thanks for the suggestions on the new sending unit. Fit right in . 5 minutes and done. Now to see how accurate it is.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1044 View Post
Dean:
I has some similar issues and finally figured out I had the wrong sending unit. Bought another one and things worked fine.
I did check the sending unit when it was out of the gas tank by hooking it up and moving the float from the full down to full up position to see how the gauge would respond. There is a slow response time so take your time if you decide to check it this way. I think it is an easier step than messing with the gas gauge itself.
I can't remember if the sending unit is oriented with a tab for position in the tank, but I think it is. As I recall, the float arm should be pointing towards the front of the car. If not it could be bottoming on the bottom of the tank and not reading the gas level. Just a thought.
Also the manual says to use 2 flashlight batteries (3V) and connect that to the fuel gauge. With the 3V supplied it should read "approximately full".
Nyles
Nyles
When i took the old one out the float was towards the filler neck.