Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on Gunpowder Gray Metalic color code Y.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Gunpowder Gray Metalic color code Y.

I was wondering if anyone had a picture of or could tell me where I could find out about the ford color Gunpowder Gray Metalic. It is color code Y. I have been trying to find a picture and can't find one anywhere. I just bought a 1960 thunderbird hardtop. It was painted red in 1996. But it is rusting out due to poor bodywork. Also I am very unfamiliar with classic thunderbirds, as I am a Mopar fan, but I fell in love with this car and so did my wife. I would like to keep it all original. If anyone could give me any advice on trouble spots with this year thunderbird like hard to find parts to look for. For instance where can I find a steering wheel for one of these. I have all the hardware its just the steering wheel that is dry rotted. I know I have asked alot of questions and I could ask a lot more. But for now I will finish with this. What is a good book for engine building on the 352 FE series engines. I would like to keep it looking stock with a little extra inside. Any information would be appreciated. I am sure I'll flood the site with questions over the next couple of years.

Brian Costello
    U.S. Coast Guard

• JohnG
    John
    • Jul 28 2003

RE: Question on Gunpowder Gray Metalic color code Y.

hi Brian,

You might want to start by building a small library of reference books. Given what you said, you might begin with

1) the factory shop manual. Regularly available on Ebay, they go for
    anywhere from $15 to $30 depending on condition (originals...)

2) The Thunderbird Restoration Guide 58-66 which you can get for
    about $25 from

MIDLIFE CLASSIC CARS 4233 Carol Ann Drive Charlotte, NC 28215 (704) 598-5113

It will provide you with details about colors and so on...

3) a book on rebuilding Ford engines. I checked Amazon and there were about 7 or more of 'em.

as well as THIS Website, which Alexander has packed with all kinds of invaluable tidbits.

Good luck and have fun!!

John
    58 Hardtop
    1958 Hardtop
    #8452 TBird Registry
    http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
    history:
    http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

RE: Question on Gunpowder Gray Metalic color code Y.

Welcome to the Squarebirds site.

Gunpowder Gray Metallic(1960 color code Y) is Ditzler code DQE-3196-DAL . Any auto paint shop should be able to mix up an exact match.

The best book on rebiuild FE engine is How to Rebuild Big Block Ford Engines by Steve Christ. Amazon and other book stores have it.

They do not reproduce the 1958-60 Thunderbird steering wheel. There are companies that restore the wheels, even when little is left except the steel core. If it is not too badly cracked, you can restore it with supplies from Eastwood. They even sell a book on how to restore steering wheels.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢