Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Most likely the ignition switch/cylinder was changed. Usually when keys are lost all people care about is getting the car started, not locking the doors. Seems every car I get the ignition key never matches the door locks. The original key should have FORD on it.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
      Experienced
      • Jun 20 2012

Is this the seal kit you were talking about John?

Comment

• tbird430
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 18 2007

I would also pull the door lock cylinders out and make sure the pewter "forks" are still attached to the ends. The car has to have these in order to lock/unlock the doors.

I remember on my '60 Bird both of these were broken off and laying inside the door skin.

Pewter is a very weak & breakable metal....

-Jon in TX.
        sigpic
        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yes, that's the correct power steering kit for your pump.

John

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
            Experienced
            • Jun 20 2012

I tried to unlock the door once again with the ignition key (which is obviously not original) with zero success. I also found that the locksmith is able to produce the key from the lock but that would cost about $40 and I still wouldn't have the same key for ignition and doors so I'll go with the $69 combo set of ignition/door lock set with the same key.

There are still two other lock mysteries to me:
            a) how to open the glove box - could you please destribe what to do to open it? to which side is the unlock, aprox. what turn angle and does it need to be pushed somehow? I was able to insert the ignition key to the glove box lock and turn it nearly 360 degres counterclockwise. Unfortunately, did not persuade the glove box to open.

b) the trunk lock - where is it? originally I thought it's somewhere under the rear bird emblem on the trunk but my emblem is totally stuck and on the inner side of the trunk in place of the emblem there is a part of what could have been some mechanism but I can not imagine how that could open the trunk. So only the electrical trunk locks on both sides are working. Could you please post a picture of how the key trunk lock (and the key trunk lock mechanism) looks like from both sides?

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

On a '59 convertible the trunk opens by pushing the top switch in that's under the dash. There is no key lock. There are two solenoids that pop open the trunk and a safety catch on the drivers side that you push in. The trunk opens from the front.

John

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                Experienced
                • Jun 20 2012

OK, that corresponds to what I have . So the trunk key is to lock the switch under the dash then (as there is a key hole in the switch)? And how do you unlock/open the glove box?

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yes, the switch under the dash is the lock. The glove box should open by pushing in the lock button. It might be stuck so you may have to pull on the glove box door to open it.

John

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎