Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Longer rear wheel studs needed,any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wfopossum
    • Oct 19 2009

Longer rear wheel studs needed,any ideas?

I went to the tire shop to have my wheels/tires mounted(Torq Thrust II ) and the tire guy wouldn't mount em because he could only get 3 threads of lug nut engagement. Doe's anyone know of a longer wheel stud that'll fit ? Maybe a stud that might cross reference from another ford or another make of car. Here's the specs on the stock wheel stud. Length-1 5/8, shoulder length-15/32, knurl diameter-.625,thread-1/2-20 . Anyone else have this problem with aftermarket wheels ?

Try your local Napa Auto Parts store and tell them what you need. I see that www.napaonline lists 1,256 different wheel bolts. Part #BK 6411632 is almost what you need and may work.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

I had to buy lug nuts with a longer "insert" for my Ansen Sprint mags.

but then my lugnuts were mag-style, not conical acorn type
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

I would take a brake drum to NPAP and they should be able to help you out.

Comment

• wfopossum
          • Oct 19 2009

Originally posted by Bob M
          I would take a brake drum to NPAP and they should be able to help you out.
          I'll go to napa and see if they can help me,I was gonna try em anyway,I just thought someone on here might've had the same problem.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 30 2009

Gotta love this site.... I need to get longer wheel studs now, and right there below is the specs on the originals that I was looking for....

Originally posted by wfopossum
            I went to the tire shop to have my wheels/tires mounted(Torq Thrust II ) and the tire guy wouldn't mount em because he could only get 3 threads of lug nut engagement. Doe's anyone know of a longer wheel stud that'll fit ? Maybe a stud that might cross reference from another ford or another make of car. Here's the specs on the stock wheel stud. Length-1 5/8, shoulder length-15/32, knurl diameter-.625,thread-1/2-20 . Anyone else have this problem with aftermarket wheels ?
            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Restifier52
              Experienced
              • Jul 26 2011

I put longer studs on my car. I got them from Summit - part number MSR-8250. They worked fine.
              1960 HT
              Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• Tbird1044
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 31 2012

Wheel Studs

Rob, I feel your pain on this one. I spent over a month trying to get some longer studs that would work. I thought this would be a no brainer, but was I ever wrong.
                The stock Dorman stud is a 610-109 that fits our cars. Some of the guys have already given the dimensions of this stud for reference. If you go to the Dorman web site, they have a chart to look for knurl size, thread, length etc. I found a 2" or 2 1/4"L stud that looked really good (610-444) so I ordered them. Gave them to NAPA to press in and they wouldn't do it, because the studs just fell into the holes on the drum where it should be a press fit. I called Dorman twice to complain about the knurl size being undersize and they told me the studs are within specs. B.S. Then I started shopping around for other manufacturers. Found a cross reference to a Wagner stud (BD-125969), but no one seemed to have them and if they did they wanted between $5-$10/stud. I never did get any to see if these would actually work. I did order some, but they couldn't get it them for at least 6 months. Also found some studs at Pep Boys that looked really good size wise. Ordered a complete set of these and they were the same as the Dormans-undersize on the knurl. Took them back to P.B. and got my money back.
                The studs I finally ended up with were Moser (MSR-8010) from Summit Racing. They are a 3"L stud, so I ended up cutting them down to the length I needed and had them pressed in. The length of the knurl is a little shorter than the standard stud, so I had the back of the drum spot faced about .030" so the knurl would protrude beyond the face of the hub. I'm not 100% sure this was necessary, but it appears that the brake drum registers on the knurl of the studs and this holds the hub and drum together as a unit. I think the drum also registers on the center hole to the hub, but I also wanted the fit to be good to the studs.
                This is my story and I'm sticking to it. ;-)
                Nyles

Originally posted by wfopossum

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎