X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yellow98cobra
    Experienced
    • May 28 2012

Thermostat?

I removed my surge tank to have it repaired, prior to doing this I ordered a new gasket & 180 degree thermostat. The thermostatthat is on it is 160 Degree. I know the manual says it should be 180. To date I have had no overheating issues and wanted to know if I swap in the 180 degree one whether it will cause any problems.

Thanks Eric
    Last edited by yellow98cobra; May 14, 2015, 05:03 PM.
    Yellow98Cobra
    1960 Thunderbird HT
    Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
    There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
    http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

The answer depends on the health of your other components.
    Does your heat riser valve move freely or is it stuck shut? It is located on the passenger side of your exhaust manifold.

Does your radiator have good flow with only a few cores blocked?

Does your water pump flow well?

Do your rear cylinders get adequate coolant flow? This question points to your head gaskets and whether the cooling holes are proper size or if they have rusted through.

Your engine came with a 180 degree thermostat. It should have one now unless someone thought a lower thermostat would get a jump on an overheating problem.

There are other factors involved, like air flow through your radiator. So, your question depends on the condition of your 50 yr-old system. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

I have always wondered why thermostats with different temps are available?

180 F seems to be the most "common" one that is used.
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

Assuming your cooling system is in good shape, the thermostat will control the operating temperature under normal conditions. The thermostat temperature rating is where the thermostat should start to open. The water flow rate through the system is controlled by the diameter of the opening of the thermostat. Yes, the thermostat actually acts like an orifice in the system to control flow. If the water flow through the system is to fast, there is not enough dwell time in the radiator for proper cooling. That is why in the olden days, guys would pull the thermostat when their cooling systems were plugged.
        Why the different temperatures? The hotter you can run a cooling system or engine, the better the efficiency and hence fuel mileage. Also, the engine will actually run cleaner and have less wear at higher operating temperatures. Of course, this is within reasonable numbers.
        Since our Squarebirds have a history of running hot, a 160F thermostat probably won't hurt you, especially in California. If you are in Minnesota, and you want a good heater in the winter, I would opt for the 180F.
        Many of the new cars now have 195F thermostats to help with efficiency and fuel mileage.
        Nyles

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎