Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mh434
    Comfortably numb
    • Jan 10 2017

A bit of early morning youtubing and I came across this 1960 with portholes. May be of use

#1151For sale in our Chicago showroom is a rare 1960 Ford Thunderbird Sunroof coupe. This gold metallic beauty is finished with a white hardtop with classi...

Jon
    Jon
    Deepest Hertfordshire
    Old enough to know I'm right...
    1960 Hardtop T'bird
    1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

• Wyldie
      Apprentice
      • Dec 22 2016

No problems, I'll dig them out this weekend. Get back to you

Originally posted by bird 60
      Hi Michael, yes, I would be interested. Are they new? Is it a complete set with the in between gasket. Can you send pictures, & how much are we looking at.

Thank you.....Chris

Comment

• bird 60
        Super-Experienced
        • Mar 18 2009

Thanks Jon, that's pretty well what I have in mind, with the exception of 1'' to 1 1/2'' lower.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• bird 60
          Super-Experienced
          • Mar 18 2009

Thanks Michael, I'll be waiting to hear from you.

Chris.

Comment

• DKheld
            Super-Experienced
            • Aug 27 2008

Geez - I have to pay $30 US for a yearly inspection in my state - the neighboring state has no inspections - you should see some of the junk people put on the road here.

Pics are still up of this car with the porthole window - exterior only I believe so can't see if it hits any structure.

Have a look at the weight on that back wheel - must be 4 pounds !

(edit - removed pics - too big so link below - appears to be the same one as in the video)

here is the link...

Comment

• sidewalkman
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by DKheld
              Geez - I have to pay $30 US for a yearly inspection in my state - the neighboring state has no inspections - you should see some of the junk people put on the road here.

Pics are still up of this car with the porthole window - exterior only I believe so can't see if it hits any structure.

(edit - removed pics - too big so link below - appears to be the same one as in the video)

here is the link...
              http://gatewayclassiccars.com/chicag...ird-S1151.html
              Not my thing, but they look about an inch too high to my eye
              Scott
              South Delta, BC, Canada
              1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
              Red Leather Interior!
              www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
              Thunderbird Registry #61266
              http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 31 2012

Scott:
                I agree with you on the location. It was nice to see a picture of what they look like though. I was curious.
                Nyles

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Port Windows

Here is what the port windows on Marco's '58 look like. You will see that they are lowered quite a bit than on the '60. They are not centered though, which I thought they were, but no. The modification to Marco's '58 was done by a previous owner, but not the owner here in San Antonio that Marco bought it from. Unfortunately, as I remember, the two previous owners before the one who sold it to Marco, have passed away. Here are a couple of pix.
                  Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                  Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• bird 60
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Mar 18 2009

Originally posted by DKheld

here is the link...
                    http://gatewayclassiccars.com/chicag...ird-S1151.html

Up until the new Law on Historic Vehicles, the cut off date was the 31st of January 1979. You had to be in a Car club to receive privileges. Cars were first inspected by the Motor Registrar at a cost of $220. If failed you had to go back again at a cost of $120. If you passed, & wanted Conditional Registration (90) days, The cost is $110 AU, for full Registration, 1 year close to $1,000. The onus was up to the Club Log Book Personal to check the cars to make sure that they stayed original, at no cost.

The changes now are...No 1979 cut off date, but must be over 30 year old....No inspections by your club, but left to the Police to pull you over if the Car doesn't look right or un-roadworthy. We're allowed Modifications, but if deemed Major eg., turning a Hard-Top into a Convertible, best to get approval first, etc.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• bird 60
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Mar 18 2009

Hi Ray, to me that looks a lot better. It might not look center to the Chrome Bar, but diagonally it's pretty well in the center.
                      Unless I'm mistaken, the '58 Chrome Bar looks wider than the '60s. If someone has the '58, can you please measure the Width for me.

Thank You.
                      Chris......From OZ.

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Port Windows

As I recall the '58 and the '59 Chrome Bar are the same. My '59 is 3 inches high. They changed the style a bit in 1960, if I remember correctly.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Penelope
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Mar 4 2008

Geez Chris, its good to see sanity has finally come to South Australia. My mate has a four door HQ Monaro GTS (GM Product to Americans) that will now receive a full blown upgrade on the 350...and no he isn't going to mention it to Motor Vehicles Department...
                          sigpicBill
                          Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• bird 60
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Mar 18 2009

Thanks Ray, my '60 is 2 1/4". If I wanted mine to be in the same position as Marco's, I would have to raise it an extra 3/4'' from the Bar.

Chris.

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Port Windows

Chris, I got to thinking that I might have a picture of the inner C column section from when my interior guy took out all the old OEM material to replace it with the new interior material. I do! I have ONE picture taken of the C Column from inside the car. You will see how it is formed, and that there is insulation in the center of it. It is my thinking that if we had taken out that insulation, we would probably have seen nothing but the flat surface of the inside of the C column. But I do not know that for sure. Someone, like John ~ jopizz might very well know what is behind that insulation if he has ever taken it out during all the Squarebirds he has worked on. I do not think, (but do not know) that there is any rigid beams behind that. I think not though. Look at the picture and you can see the support channels underneath that insulation, sweep up the right side to the roof, and up the left to the roof. Here is the only picture I have. I suspect that the '58, '59 and the '60 were all made the same way. I hope this helps.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• bird 60
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Mar 18 2009

Thanks Ray, if you look at Anything Goes, I started a Thread there a couple of weeks ago, & Randy send a few pix from the inside of his '60, & it has & Rod there, which I believe it's for the Roof Liner. If you can, would you be kind enough to incorporate them together as it is about the same subject.

Thank You.....Chris.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎