X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dgs
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 13 2003

Autoblog's Reader Ride of the Day

Check it out, my 'bird was chosen as Autoblog's reader ride of the day today (Thursday):

Cars today are generally quite good. Regardless of what you choose, chances are that you're getting something with ample power, clean emissions, decent fuel economy, and good reliability. Unfortunately, where many cars fall down is in the area of style. Oh, they may not be unattractive, but they're not going to be talked about 40 years from now, either.

Be sure to go back to www.autoblog.com on Saturday or Sunday when they'll have a vote for the RR of the Week and vote for my bird.
    DGS (aka salguod)
    1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
    www.salguod.net
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Autoblog's Reader Ride of the Day

Congratulations.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• fomoco59
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 10 2005

"DITTO !"

Mike
      '59 Hardtop
      '02 Black

sigpic
      Mike Lemmon
      '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• Rockin Kev
        Experienced
        • Oct 31 2002

Hi Guys,
        Interesting reading the comments on the website, i like the comment no5. i would be interested to know that if that little boy of eight years old (when the Squarebird was new) owns a 55-57 BABY BIRD after all these years or just drives a Honda Civic!!

Because when you read comment no12 the Squarebird was not a tub!! as it was refered to in comment no5 as compared to other OTHERSIZED cars of 1958.

After all the BABY bird WAS A GOOD CAR but to compare the Squarebird as a Ladies car is a surprise to me, after all thats why Ford made the 1958 Fairlane Station wagon so the wife could take the Children to school and pop in the super market on the way home!

Now you all have had a good laught at that i wish people would understand that everyone taste in cars is different and if we all like the same life would be dull, after all there is a T-bird FOR ALL TASTE in all shapes and forms and that is an achievement.

I will remember that i am driving a LADIES CAR when i am next out in MY 7,000CC v8 LINCOLN powered Squarebird leaving most of the modern trash at the traffic lights behind me...lol

I like the Boyd Rims its just a flare of personnal taste, people should understand that to keep the younger generation interested then we must accept the younger person view, if it means changing the wheels and keeping a SQUAREBIRD ON THE ROAD THEN THAT MUST COUNT FOR SOMETHING.

Kev
        430 Golde.

Comment

• peeeot
          Experienced
          • Oct 23 2005

I liked the article, and of course your Squarebird, it's so sharp!!

I was rather disappointed with the comments though. It baffles me that someone can look at a Squarebird and fail to be impressed. I agree that difference in taste is good and healthy, but it would be nice if people could express their opinions in a less inflamatory, derogatory way. "I don't care for the wheels" is sufficient; "the wheels suck" is rude and unnecessary.

Speaking of wheels, I will always keep mine stock, but I think your look works just fine.

Comment

• byersmtrco
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 28 2004

Hmmm, rough crowd. It's like any other forum. You guys should read the Harley forum I'm on. Softails against Dyna's against the full dressers (Baggers) Sheeesh !!! It's all one brand, but you know. Opinions are like a/holes. Everyone has one, most of em stink !!!

Now for mine. I think your black convertible is sweet !! I like the wheels !!! I enjoyed the story too.

Now for the tub comment . . . Compared to the 55-57 (1/2) Bird.
            Uh, I don't think so. What were that stats? Ford sold twice as many 60 TBirds as 57's, and 3 times as many 63's ??? Hmmm, I think they were on the right track. Now the Bullet Birds (61-63) don't do allot for me (they are growing on me) But that body style was really a LEAP ahead for Ford compared to any other 1961 vehicle (anywhere)
            So was the 58 !!!

The "Ladies Car" comment about Squarebirds. Well the adds of that era were directed towards women. I remember women driving them when I was a kid. My mom for example. She loved the Tbird, but she hated driving it. Absolutely HATED it. I remember *one of* her comments about it, "You don't get in, you put it on"

My dad was a truck driver. He'd get off work at 2 in the morning and put the top down (in the summer) and go rippin home on the freeway at 80+. I don't think too many "ladies" did that.

John

Comment

I kind of also agree with the 60 T Bird being a lady's car. I don't know how to put it but it just has allot of class and looks kind of sexy for rig 40 years old. It funny but my old Dodge seems to get more comments about it looks from women also. I think most of the comments made about my bird are made by women also. Nice to have two beautiful old sweet cars.

Comment

• Rockin Kev
                Experienced
                • Oct 31 2002

Guys,
                Here is the answer, if you want to PULL a nice woman, go by Squarebird and your in!

As a long distance motorcoach driver i can relate to the truck driver comment about driving home at 2am with the top down at 80mph! GOOD FOR HIM!

Nice to read that you guys understand my comments but true, when you look at History for 1958 the Squarebird was keepping workers at Wixom in employment and SAVED the T-Bird from being axed.
                The Back seat was wanted and it took the T-bird to a new level in sales.

Our Club Director here in the UK has a real sweet 57 Bird and i have driven it but its owner will agree with me is that he rather drive his Brother in law 60 Bird long distance for comfort more than the 57 and after a spell behind the wheel of his 57 i had to agree.

However the BABY Birds are marketed in all fields of merchandise as a icon car of the 50s, and it was as i do like the look of the 57 but its the Squarebird that took my heart.

Kev
                430 Golde.

Comment

• Alexander
                  Webmaster
                  • Oct 30 2002

The 1958-60 Thunderbird is one of the first cars that Ford specifically target women with their ads. That does not make it a lady's car. Many successful men prided on themselves on driving the new Thunderbird.

I voted for your car. Don't worry about the detractors of the Squarebird. They are a dying breed.

When I first got my 1959 25 years ago, I would often hear the comment, "Too bad it is not a '57." Not anymore. The Squarebirds get a lot of appreciative comments now.

The Squarebirds are a generation ahead of the two-seater T-Birds in the way they drive and handle.

Alexander
                  1959 Hardtop
                  1960 Golde Top
                  Alexander
                  1959 Hard Top
                  1960 Golde Top
                  sigpic

Comment

Bravo for all of us T Bird owners! Alex is right on top with his comment about being a nice driver. I bought my twin sons a 78 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with 50,000 original miles around eight years ago. It was there car to share for high school and now it belongs to one of my sons. Well anyway the T Bird that I own now rides so much better and handles better that you would think that a car 18 years newer would be better but it isn't. I really like the ride in the T bird!!!! (Now to get out and install a new generator in the bird!!) Jon

Comment

The car looks GREAT. Nevermind the negativity. I'll tell you the same thing I tell my students..."If you/I spend our time caring about what other people think we will be just as low as them."

LOOKS AWESOME!!!

Most people are probably being negative towards the wheels beacause the the wheels do not make there 1 of 1,000,000,000,000,000 Camaros look as good!! OUCH!

Comment

• Rockin Kev
                        Experienced
                        • Oct 31 2002

Guys,
                        I have seen stock Squarebirds and custom Squarebirds and with the lines our cars have it looks fantastic as a custom or stock.

When you look what else was on offer in 58 the Squarebird was unique
                        The low seating position still gives it a sporty feel and as for that aircraft style interior and seating everyone else tried to copy it but in my opinion failed, and the length is fine as is the width, i would say its a car that fits in most modern day spaces and living in England, space is a premium!
                        I sure cant take our Friends 58 CADDY to the local supermarket carpark without getting problems.

Life without a SQUAREBIRD ahh...NEVER!
                        Kev.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎