X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 57ford/60thunderbird
    Experienced
    • May 4 2009

transmission question

on my bird (not sure which (AUTO) trans it has havent gotten under it yet) but it has a hose that comes up through the trans tunnel to a fitting on a braket bolted to the intake well this fitting has a cap on it when you remove the cap under it you find a shrader(sp?) valve (like on a tire valve stem) what does this hose do and do i have to add air to it? or check the pressure in it? if i should have to add air how much should it hold?
    i have never seen anything like this on a trans please inform/ educate me
    57 ford sedan
    60 thunderbird registry number 33404
    69 mustang coupe
    69 roadrunner
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Transmission question

Hi Keith,

I cannot answer that question you have, but I can tell you how to find out which transmission your '60 Tbird SHOULD have in it, if it has not been changed out. Your data plate on the drivers door frame, (with the door open) should say what you have for a Transmission. It probably says 4 for the COM
    Trans
    1 Standard (3-Speed Manual)
    2 Overdrive
    4 Cruise-O-Matic (3-Speed Automatic) (Required with 430 Engine)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

If I'm not mistaken.... Alex addressed this awhile back. Do a search on cruise-o-matic's I think you'll find your answer.
      If not I'll try for you.
      Cheers

Comment

• LuckyJay
        • Jan 4 2007

I believe I have read in other threads on this site that the valave that you are talking about is for transmission service. I think it says that it is a pressure test point. Don't do anything with it, unless you know what you are doing.

Comment

• protourbird
          Experienced
          • Apr 29 2008

The Schraeder valve is definitely a test point. It is strictly for testing the internal pressures in the transmission and for setting up the kickdown linkage. You do not need to do anything with it unless you are servicing the transmission.
          sigpic
          Jim

protourbird

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
            Experienced
            • May 4 2009

cool thanks for the info
            57 ford sedan
            60 thunderbird registry number 33404
            69 mustang coupe
            69 roadrunner

Comment

• joser's 60
              • Apr 12 2009

ya bro dont put any air in that valve. that valve kinda had me puzzeled to until i ran the car and pushed down on it and tranny fluid flew all over the place. i dont recommend trying it.
              joser tbird registry # 33403

Comment

• tully
                Experienced
                • Mar 7 2008

air pressure check vavle

protourbird is right it's where you check to see if you have the right pressure in the transmission, I disconnect mine from the transmission and ran a line to the trunk and hooked it up to a keg, so I could have fresh beer tab in the car. LOL

Dennis

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎