X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackBird58
    Experienced
    • Mar 9 2005

fan shroud install report and a question

After running into the mystery with my brake lines, I moved on to installing a fan shroud. It's the fiberglass Dearborn Classics model that's been discussed here before.

First, as a comment, it's possible to do the install with the radiator in the car. I loosened up the fan screws and was able to get the lower shroud in place without any trouble. So far, so good.

Then, I got the car up on jackstands, figuring I'd bolt on the lower shroud piece first and then line up the top to it. At that point I discovered that the lower attachment brackets don't line up with anything to bolt them to.

In the end, I lined up and bolted on the top shroud, and then just screwed the lower shroud to the top. The only thing keeping the lower shroud in place are the cross member and the tranny cooling lines. I haven't driven it yet, but there's plenty of clearance between the shroud and the fan at low and high rpm and everywhere in between.

Below, my pictures of the completed install, and the line up points for the lower shroud attachment brackets. I'd be curious if anyone else who installed this shroud ran into similar problems and if so, what your solution was. Note that the hex bolts on the ends of the radiator are the bolts that came with the shroud.

Take care, Mel

• byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

RE: fan shroud install report and a question

Wow !!!!!!!! That looks familair !!!!!!!! Yup, I ran into the same problem. When I had the eng out and the radiator at the shop, we just drilled new holes in the upper and lower brackets. I marked exactly where it lined up in the car before anything is removed.

If the rest of your cooling syst is working properly your TB will NOT run hot any more. I'm running a 180 stat, and thats right where it runs. Maybe it'll creep up to 185 if it is very hot out (just idling)

Those shrouds don't fit perfect. There is a gap at the sides. Well worth it !! Other than that it looks like it belongs there.

John

Comment

• BlackBird58
      Experienced
      • Mar 9 2005

I'm glad I'm not alone. With the engine and radiator in the car, you can't get a drill in to make new holes for the bottom mount.

I've only taken the car around town, but it's holding temp just fine. Of course it was doing that before I put the shroud on. I've got to get the brake hoses in order before I take her out on the highway again.

Mel

Comment

• Hawkrod
        Experienced
        • Oct 31 2005

I have not look too deep into this but couldn't you simply make a tab to go from one of the other holes over to the bracket? One end just needs a hole and the other end could be a carriage bolt hammered into a hole so it would not go anywhere. It may even be better to make a strap so the tabs are not independent and capture all the holes and have two studs sticking out. It looks like it would be easy to do. JMO Hawkrod

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

I thought of that too. It would probably work. Since I was going to have it all out anyway (plus I did need a new core) I just did it with the rad removed.

Comment

Since everyone who bought one has the same problem maybe someone who bought one should tell Dearborn Classic they got the mounting points wrong. Maybe it is a design flaw that they dont even know about. That is I assuming that these are designed for the Squarebird.

Comment

• Alexander
              Webmaster
              • Oct 30 2002

The shroud is for a '62 -'63 full-size Ford. It just happens to be a close fit for our Squarebirds.

Alexander
              1959 Hardtop
              1960 Golde Top
              Alexander
              1959 Hard Top
              1960 Golde Top
              sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
                Super-Experienced
                • Sep 28 2004

Best bet is, since it's fairly easy to remove the radiator. Mark it on top. Make sure it's centered w/the fan !!! Then pop the radiator out. Drill the bottom holes accordingly and pop her back in. It's prob do-able in the car, but you'll have to pretty much stand on your head. Bet the whole deal is no more than an hr or two. You don't want the bottom loose. It'll hit the fan (so's to speak) or something, then it's 200 dollars down the toilet.

Then, all said and done, forget about overheating (or even running hot ) Whatever temp t/stat you put in there is where it will run. Some people run 160's. The place that built my eng (AND all the "technicians" I talked to specified a 180 stat. And thats right where it runs.

John

Comment

The in dash temperature gauge reads "TEMP." Is there an approximate temperature for each letter?

If I sit for a long idle mine will go up to the "P" on "TEMP." Should I be concerned?

Thanks

Comment

• byersmtrco
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 28 2004

I'd say in that posn, and we're talking about a 46+ yr old gauge, on the "P" is prob around 200-210 deg. Somewhere in the arcives on this site, someone had a chart. My gauge is off so I can't use mine as an example. Mine rides right btwn the M and the P (closer to the P) I've checked it numerous times with a mech gage on a htr hose tee, with infra-red and my personal favorite . . . A meat thermometer in the overflow tank. Each reading was 182-186 deg. Last time I drove for 1/2 hr, then (carefully) removed the cap and dropped the therm in. It read a hair over 180 for 45 min. I'm sure if I had a 160 stat, it would run about 160.

I'm going to install gauges (temp/oil/amp) under the dash. Maybe in the stainless trim panel.

Verify your readings though, then use you'll know where you are with the orig gauge.

John

Comment

• BlackBird58
                      Experienced
                      • Mar 9 2005

I installed a new 180 degree thermostat, a 7 blade flex fan, flushed the coolant and put in the shroud. The temp gauge reads on the right leg of the "M", occasionally going as high as the left edge of the "P". I haven't had it out in rush hour traffic yet, that will be the true test. I wasn't in such a hurry to drive the car in the 110+ degree heat this last week with no AC!

Mel

Comment

Will the shrouds from the 63 64 Birds work. I saw one and it looks close.

Comment

• byersmtrco
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Sep 28 2004

I'm almost wondering now if the needle straight down was in the 160 range ??? That's where mine ran with the old motor and a 160 stat.
                          Your gauge is running where mine is (180) In the svc/man it calls for a 160 stat.
                          Hmmm ??!!

Mel, your in Oakland right? Are you a member of Norcal VTCA????????

John Byers

Comment

• byersmtrco
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Sep 28 2004

Oh that's right. You are. Never mind. Brain fart.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎