No announcement yet.

Carb upgrade

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb upgrade

Im upgrading my carb. Im a fan of Edelbrock but this is my first Ford engine so Holley or Edelbrock????
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Carb upgrade

I have run a Holley on my 352 equipped 1959, but I went back to the Autolite 4100. The Autolite is a better carburetor.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

In what ways have you noticed the autolite to be better? My autolite seemed to flood a lot and need a constant adjustment even after a complete rebuild. Just recently it flooded and caught fire, nothing major was damaged but obviously its not reusable.

Comment

I've run both the edelbrock, (I got a great deal on a reconditioned one ,reconed by edelbrock, from summit, was like $100 below list If I remembered, they dont advertise them to often, you have to ask. I like the carb, it adjusted easily, not that I set it more than once. I switched it out on my 63 Bird in favor of the Holley stock style replacement, bolted right up, no adapter linkages to mess around with, I kept the edelbrock, put it on my 66 mustang, it ran great on the little 289.(sold the cash pit) good luck,,:+

Comment

• tarps3
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 21 2003

I'm not sure what sort of engine you have in your '63, but i had a '64 Galaxie with a 390 and it had an Edelbrock Performer carb.

Ran like a striped ape!

The only thing that didn't work was the automatic choke mechanism. Wasn't a big deal - just had to pump the accel pedal a few times when cold.
          It never gave me any problems.
          Casey

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

If your carburetor floods, this may be an indication of a greater problem, that there is debris in your gas tank or fuel line. It only takes a little bit of dirt to cause the fuel float valve to stick open.

I had my Autolite flood once in 25 years due to debris in the fuel line.

The advantage to the Autolite is that there are no gaskets in the fuel bowls unlike the Holley carbs, so it unlikely to leak. The venturi units atomize fuel very well. The only downside to the Autolite is that the secondaries are triggered by vacuum, so if you are looking for high performance, a carburetor with mechanical secondaries would be your better choice. Be a aware that a carburetor with mechanical secondaries will cause your fuel mileage to drop.

Alexander
            1959 Hardtop
            1960 Golde Top
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks, I noticed I had to do some engineering on the linkage with the edelbrock I have on it now but from what I see on Summit's website the Holley will pretty much be like stock and need no mods to the linkage which is a plus. Also summit says it is a non-adjusting float carb up to 6psi? This seems like a good idea but from my history with Holley carbs they are always needing adjustments. Has anybody else seen/know anything good or bad about this? Also I have the stock 390 in it for the guy who was wondering.

Comment

Holley has been around the auto manufacturing and race world for ever, and for good reason.( ...so have Edelbrock!) They are known by every mechanic, and stocked at every parts house. The edelbrock is a great carb, for the right application, like a fat lady in track shoes, is it really gonna get used? Im not sure if the whale will utilise the edelbrocks performance features to justify the added costs of modifying and the higher shelf price.

they will both work fine.

Good luck, :+

Comment

Hi here's my 2cents. I bought a holly for my 60 from summit. The thimg i didn't like was the choke,it went off to fast. All kinds of stumbles and burps never could get it right. So I bit the bullet and sent the 4100 to ponycarb. I've had the car about 7 years and it NEVER ran like this and it went right on with no prob. Had to do little things with the holly. Like alexander said they don't leek and are the closes thing you can get to fuel injection. (idon't know what they did to those back barrels but they open with nooooo prob) Later............Bill

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎