No announcement yet.

Engine install and insurance

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Anders,
    Great job! I hate to say this but I only see ONE guy working on installing the engine/tranny Where were you?
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord
      Hey Anders,
      Great job! I hate to say this but I only see ONE guy working on installing the engine/tranny Where were you?
      Richard D. Hord
      Who do you think took the pictures?

Stephan was in command of the crane, and I hold the engine at the same time I was looking everywhere. Down, forward, angle, down, forward, oops, back, OK, angle, down, forward...and so on...
      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

That's how the engine and trans went in at the assembly plant... all in one piece. Any other way just means more work in a confined space.

Nice job, Anders. Is this a 'major overhaul'? I would like to hear what improvements you made before dropping the engine.

BTW, in the Repair Bay, two workers changed four engines per 8-hour shift.

EDIT: There is something wrong with the numbers on your hoist. There is no way the load capacity maximum is 132-pounds (60kg) fully extended. - Dave
        Last edited by simplyconnected; April 9, 2011, 02:22 PM.
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Anders
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by simplyconnected
          That's how the engine and trans went in at the assembly plant... all in one piece. Any other way just means more work in a confined space.

Nice job, Anders. Is this a 'major overhaul'? I would like to hear what improvements you made before dropping the engine.

BTW, in the Repair Bay, two workers changed four engines per 8-hour shift. - Dave
          The engine was build like 5 years ago, but as the car dripped oil from the rear axle, tranny and "here & there" on the engine as well, I took all this out just to change a few seal and gaskets, and awerall clean it up. Another reason was also tolearn how to take these parts out, so I donīt need to be nevous next time, when painting is on the agenda, in a few years. As it is a hobby car, I like to be able to know more. In the progress, Iīm now quite good at ī58 rear suspesion
          Last edited by Anders; April 9, 2011, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• Anders
            Super-Experienced
            • Jan 19 2008

I would like to move this thread to "FE ENGINES" (since it pertains to engines). Any objections?
            No objection.
            Anders, did you see my EDIT about your engine hoist?
            Yes, now

EDIT: There is something wrong with the numbers on your hoist. There is no way the load capacity maximum is 132-pounds (60kg) fully extended. - Dave
            This is how they look. I donīt know. I guess there is a lot of safe tolerances build in. Thatīs what we thought as well, and lift the whole thing with the 125 kg mark. They seems to cut the weight in half for each hole.
            Last edited by Anders; April 9, 2011, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• dgs
              Super-Experienced
              • Feb 13 2003

Originally posted by c4clewis
              Between jacking up the rear of the car, load leveler, and using my rolling dollies on the trans tail shaft, I think it will work out nicely.

Anyone have a reason not to go with Grundy insurance. They seem to look like a good deal and are 1/2 the price of going through USAA.
              I love USAA for my regular car insurance, but the folks who do their classic insurance aren't good. Pricey and the same restrictions as Hagarty.

I too have JCTaylor, as does my Dad and my gradfather did when he owned my 'Bird (and Dad's '56, and Dad's '57 Eldorado and a '37 Cord for a time). Good prices (I pay around $150/yr. for my car valued at $20K) and they do not have those restrictions, just don't drive it as a replacement car.
              DGS (aka salguod)
              1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
              www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎