Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WC145
    • May 5 2012

An update on my '66

Well, since my first post about my new '66 Town I've finished cleaning her up and have done more of the maintenance/mechanical work it needed. Replaced the shocks, turned the rotors, bled the brake system, put in new front wheel bearings, painted the calipers and drums, replaced the belts, etc. Also, replaced the entire exhaust system with 2.25" pipe, Magnaflow mufflers (the little 14" long, 4" round jobs), and chrome GTO/Trans Am style dual turn down tips. It sounds great! I got some pinstriping done on it yesterday and it came out real nice, too.

Still haven't decided what I'm going to do about lowering the front end, I looked at bagging it but that's pretty expensive. I'll probably either order some shorter springs or just cut a coil of the existing ones to bring the front down an inch or two.

Here's a couple pics from Owl's Head Transportation Museum's 50s & 60s get together a couple of weeks ago and some of the pinstriping also.

• Jimz Bird
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2011

Looks Great!

I like the pinstriping. Very tastefully done and unique. Especially under the roof emblem.
    Jim
    Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• Deblib
      Apprentice
      • Apr 30 2012

Pinstriping

Nicely done! I like it. Classy and fits the car.
      Debbie #38435

Comment

• tbird430
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 18 2007

Looks very nice....

The only think that sticks out to me is having the front wheel well opening chrome trim vs. the no rear wheel well opening trim. I guess this Bird had the chrome trim on the fender skirts originally??

-Jon in TX.

sigpic
        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• 1oldkid
          Apprentice
          • Oct 5 2011

Car looks great. I too have a 66 and am in the middle of installing a set of shorter springs in the front. Just a 1" drop to remove the gap between the tire and fender. I wouldn't suggest cutting a coil. It's least expensive but it will change the spring rate and alter the ride. I was able to special order a set of lowering springs for about $300.
          As for the rear fender trim, mine was the same way, as it came with trim on the skirts. Hunt the wrecking yards and in time you will find the rear trim. Finally, a suggestion on your emblems. If you take a sharpie marker and color in the 'black areas' on your emblems it will revive them at no cost.
          Like the wheels, what size are you running?

Comment

• WC145
            • May 5 2012

Thanks, all. Yes, Jon, the skirts are in the garage, I've had a eye out for the skirtless trim but it's hard to find.

OldKid - I've seen your car on myrideisme, I think we spoke about your wheels. Mine are 17x8 Coy's and the tires are 235/50s, had to shave a bit off the ridge on the calipers for clearance but no other fit issues. I like the way your car looks without any wheel well trim, something for me to consider. I appreciate the sharpie hint, I'll give that a try.

Comment

• pats65bird
              • Dec 31 2012

1965 Tbird Coilovers

Great looking Bird what size of wheel are you using?
              I just put front coil-overs on my 65 ride height adjustable.
              Pat

Comment

• FINSRIN
                Experienced
                • Aug 7 2010

Per my experience that exhaust treatment is unique for a Tbird.
                Good eye for wheels. They work with its squarish styling and no fender skirts. Imparts a performance look.
                Was prior exhaust 2 inch ?

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎