Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • howelljason70
    • May 10 2010

Draining torque converter

What is the best way to drain the torque converter? Is there an actual drain on it or do I need to remove it. The previous owner had the transmission rebuilt but did not replace the torque converter. It sounds like there is some debris in the torque converter and I would like to remove the debris before any real damage is done. Thanks for any help!
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

There are drain plugs that go through the flex plate. Sometimes there are two. The entire middle of the torque converter is open, if you have it off the tranny.

Check out this Cruise-O-Matic torque converter. The drain plugs are right next to the mounting studs and on opposite ends:

Also notice, the whole thing is welded together, and isn't coming apart. Hope this helps. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• howelljason70
      • May 10 2010

Thanks a lot for the info and the picture. Now is it possible to access these drain plugs while the torque converter is bolted up to the flex plate? Would they be sufficient to drain out some of the debris? Also when I have the car in neutral, and there is no pressure to the torque converter, there is a clunking noise that arises, any insight about this? Thanks again

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Jason, if your transmission has debris, I'm sorry, but I only know one way to get it out. Your system needs to be flushed, including the lines and the radiator.

Tear the transmission down and clean all the pieces in a parts-washing tub. Then, put it back together after you have inspected all the parts. If you need your bands relined, that's an easy exchange. Clutch pack steels and fibers can wear out, but they usually don't.

I suspect a bearing might be shot, and possibly your modulator should be replaced ($20). Dirt and debris is your mortal enemy. If you see any metal pieces in your pan, plan on doing a rebuild while you can.

You don't say which trans you have, but here's how I did my Cruise-O-Matic. CLICK HERE

Much of the cost in transmission work involves the time your car ties up a hoist. If you can carry your transmission to the shop, have them rebuild it, and re-install yourself, you can save a bundle. Hope this helps. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

Imo

If you actually have trash in the converter, neither draining or a flush will remove it.

The torque converter has to be placed into a washer and sonically cleaned. And if there is trash in the converter, there is most likely trash in the cooler.

Some friction material in the pan is normal. Depending on how much and what type(s) dictates whether it is ready for an overhaul. But just with the age of the trans, a complete overhaul should be considered.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎