No announcement yet.

saw ad on TV

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

saw ad on TV

While watching the usual car shows on Spike TV this weekend, I saw a commercial for "Purple Ice" from Royal Purple products that claims to lower coolant temperature as much as 30 degrees. It is most likely a surfactant like other temperature lowering additives that lower the surface tension of water so that the "water is wetter" and more efficiently gives up heat through the radiator. If this product works as advertised, then electric fans, shrouds, six blade fans and other devices to lower our Bird's hot running problems are not needed. Anybody try this product and any comments on success?
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: saw ad on TV

I do not know if this or other products of its type really work.

There is a positive review here: http://www.off-road.com/ford/reviews/purpleice/

A less positive review is here, along with reviews of similar products. http://www.wc101.com/reviews/Additives/

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Alexander;
      I checked the threads you posted and plan to try the Zerex additive in the cooling system. Unfortunately, it may be 3-4 months before "baby" is able to be started and get back on the road. I'm getting to be on a first name basis with the UPS guy.

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

Tell us how it works.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• JohnG
          John
          • Jul 28 2003

back last summer there was a lot of discussion about heating and cooling (and the frequent problems of these cars) on this website. In August I happened to be riding with a mechanical engineer whose specialty was heat transfer and I asked her if any of these "miracle products" could potentially improve the cooling or were just so much hype designed to grab your dollar. She felt that there was definite potential. This was based on the fact that the heat transfer, either from the engine to the coolant or coolant to radiator body, takes place in a very thin "boundary layer" at the interface. At that boundary layer, there is very little molecular movement and in some ways it acts like insulation. So if you could chemically change the thickness and behavior of the boundary layer then some improved cooling might be possible. Note the words "might be". Like any such endeavor, hard data obtained in an unbiased fashion is the last word.

John
          1958 hardtop
          1976 CB 750F
          1958 Hardtop
          #8452 TBird Registry
          http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
          history:
          http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

If our system is in correct workng order you do not need to add these additives, however in some cases where folks have bored the motor or a diffrent motor other than stock is used somehing has to be done about over heating.The number one reason or over heating n a car that 26 yearsago did not overheat is the water jacket, have any of you ever pull a couple of freze plus and cleaned the jacket I have there is a lot of stuff in there, second is your fan close to your radiator, I ha a 55 chevy hat ran hot al the time moed the fan 1/2 inch from the radiator, now it's a contant 180 degress third point is how is your mixture of chemical 50/50 60/40. The additive you'all are talking about will make the metal parts more cooler not the fluids. the heat will dissapate quicker. I can help if your other systems are correct.

Comment

• byersmtrco
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 28 2004

Yup, no miracles in that stuff. Agreed it *may* help.

1- Radiator too small. Need 4 row.

2- A 4 bladed fan? Please !! Need at least 6 blade.
              18" preffered. 7 blade is best.

3-Needs a shroud !!!!
              Part from Dearborn Classics will wk w/modification
              (Drill holes in upr & lwr rad mntg brkts.)

4- Correct about sludge & rust & crapola in water jackets.
              Flush w/chemicals (Krex or whatever) every other year. Change coolant every year. Run coolant tabs, GM Pt # 3634621 (Or equiv)

Had a 440 Mopar. 7 bld fan,fact shrd, huge radiator.
              It never (ever) ran over 190 deg, idling on the hottest day.
              72 El Camino. Hopped up 350. Same thing. Never got hot once.
              68 Caprice 396 w/shroud 7 blade (Non AC)Ran too cold w/160 Stat,
              had to change to 180 .
              62 Merc 352 w/ac (never once- 10 yrs)

I plan to install new Eng in TB next
              Month. That will be the test. I know it'll run cooler. It'll run all the way on "H" now if you're not moving. It's only boiled over a few times though. Never seemed to hurt it. Current 390 in there now has 175K miles. My dad drove that car one way for 40 years. With the hammer down. Ya still have to idle along in traffic now and then.

JB

________
              PUBLIC GAY
              Last edited by byersmtrco; April 5, 2011, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎