X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Wounded Warrior Car Show Results

A small town just west of San Antonio put on a car show this weekend in support of the Wounded Warrior program with the proceeds going to it. I supported that program by taking Rose to it to compete. It was supposed to be only 91 degrees today, then that was raised to 95 and last night raised again to 98. It was that and maybe more. Maybe another 100 degree day. There was a good breeze which helped things though, except that you could not leave your hood on cars like mine that are hinged at the front. I hear there were nearly 200 cars there but only two judges! So it took awhile. It was hot, humid and I was not handling the heat that well, though I stayed hydrated and have a folding chair with a canopy on it to keep the sun off me. Because I cannot take the heat that well these days, I might not participate in any further summertime car shows.

There were many divisions, including a Thunderbird division, with all Tbirds lumped into it. I say, all, but there were only five of us. I was the only Squarebird, and my co-member of the Capital City Tbird Club in Austin was there with his '66 Flairbird. The other three were Babybirds and therein lies the crux of the matter. Two of the three Babybirds are Concourse cars that constantly win 1st Place.... The red '55 that I have competed against in past shows, was awarded 1st Place again and me 2nd Place in the last show Rose was shown at. That is usually what happens when she has her Babybird there. Now there was a highly modified baby blue '57 sitting next to me that is also a perennial 1st Place winner. So I knew that I was liable to go home without any award this time.

But not so. Many people enjoyed seeing Yellow Rose for the first time, and greatly appreciate her beauty. When it came time for judging, Rose was awarded 3rd Place, my buddy from Austin 2nd Place for his '66 yellow Flairbird, and the '57 Babybird was awarded 1st Place. The shocker was that the perennial 1st Place winning red '55 Babybird did not even place this time. I was shocked. I am very pleased with the plaques they were handing out. I will post a picture of it for you to see. It is a very pretty one, and I will proudly display it in the future. The plaques were all made in China......

Later on, as I have time, I think I will put a web page together so you can see the cars that were there. There were some amazing cars present, including a 1954 Kaiser that took six years to restore. I have never seen anything like this car before. It was totally new to me. Here is the pic of my plaque. And the '54 Kaiser!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by YellowRose; May 31, 2011, 10:01 AM. Reason: Additional comment

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

Well done Ray.

Congrats to you, and your Squarebird, again.
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Congratulations Ray
      When are you starting on the house extensions for the trophy room?

Richard

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Wounded Warrior Car Show Results

Thanks for the comments. They are much appreciated. I would say I could put my trophies in my parts room, but it is already full! I spent the day and evening putting pictures into a web page so you could enjoy seeing the cars and trucks that were there. It is a good thing we had clouds for half the day, but it sure got hot in the afternoon. It was up between 98 and 100. Luckily, they had the awards ceremony indoors with A/c. There were a lot of neat cars and trucks there! Here ya go.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎