X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1965TbirdMan
    Apprentice
    • Mar 17 2010

Engine is out

The engine is out on my T bird right now and I will begin my rebuild after a bit but right now i have a remanufactured one coming. So its time to clean and repaint the engine compartment. So my question is what color has everyone painted their engine compartment? Should i go black or go with the actual color of the car. The cars color is code E so next questions is where could I find this color in a spray can or can for a decent price. Also what color was the motor in the 65 also manifold and valve covers. Thanks everyone.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Since you have the engine out, why not have the whole car sprayed, like they did at the factory? This is a golden opportunity.

Spray the trunk area at the same time too, or you can spend extra money and have all areas masked and painted individually.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• redstangbob
      Experienced
      • Feb 18 2011

Easy stuff first, the engine is all black except for the valve covers and air filter housing that is gold, the correct color can be found at the tbird vendors. Also the oil filter adapter is unpainted. The car originally came with the engine compartment in body color, except for the firewall which was Ford semi-gloss black 80% sheen, and then was spray undercoated. This link will give you the color codes, your auto paint supply can put them in a rattle can for you. http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorli...ncoln-pg01.jpg Note the chips are for Lincoln, they were built at Wixom together with the tbirds. Hope that helps, Bob C
      Here's a before and after

Comment

• scumdog
        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Crikey, what a transformation in your engine by Bob, 'good on ya' as we say down under!

Hopefuly I can get mine to look a bit like that when finished - I wish I had taken some 'before' pics though.
        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• 1965TbirdMan
          Apprentice
          • Mar 17 2010

Thanks for the advice. I have another question what size are the tires for this year i got some based of the ones that were on the car when i got it and they are to big they rub. So would they work on the back and what size do i need all around.

Comment

• redstangbob
            Experienced
            • Feb 18 2011

The correct size tire is 215/75R x 15. The correct whitewall is 1" except for late production cars, they got 3/4". I always recommend buying the OFS (Original Factory Specification) manual from the VTCI. It has the most info for your car in one place since it left Wixom http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.or...tore_books.htm Hope this helps, Bob C

Comment

• 1965TbirdMan
              Apprentice
              • Mar 17 2010

Wiring and Belt diagram

Does anyone have a pic of their belts i could look at or maybe belt diagram. I have the shop book but no help in this area and its been awhile since i took them off. Had i been smart a few pics by me could have saved me here. Also wiring diagram for which wires go where from the ignition coil to distributor and so on. Thanks again its almost their.

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Engine is out

Not owning a Flairbird, I can't help you with pix of the belt setup, but one of the Flairbird owners should be able to help you. Yes, it is always a good idea to take pictures of EVERYTHING and any thing before you take it off. As simplyconnected says, he takes tons of pictures, close ups, you name it. That way, he can look at the pix to see how things go back on and what it should look like when done.

All the wiring diagrams for 1958-1966 Tbirds are in the Technical Resource Library web page. Just click on the link to it in my signature element below and scroll down until you see Wiring Diagrams. Then go down to your year and you will see it. You can print off a copy if you need to.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• redstangbob
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 18 2011

1965TbirdMan, PM sent

Comment

• 1965TbirdMan
                    Apprentice
                    • Mar 17 2010

Well ive hit a snag i took some pics of car but cant find them on my camera which is great because im trying to mount all the parts back on to the motor and i have this one braket and i dont know where it goes it looks like a v has two holes on the front that stick out and then hole and a c beside that hole. So basically not sure if it goes on power steering side or on other side. Kind of lost due to losing those pics

Comment

• 1965TbirdMan
                      Apprentice
                      • Mar 17 2010

So close

Ok well i got the all the parts back on and the motor runs great. However I do have one issue right now the shift lever says i am in park but tires are spinning. When I moved it before i put the motor in i went to put it in park and a spring came shooting out of the shifter column. I know i have some type of either shifter issue or linkage. I looked under the car and the linkage column is moving around when i move it through the gears but it might not be working at the transmission. I think i checked that. Also it might be the dent plate issue. I ordered all that stuff figured it wouldnt be a bad idea to fix it. Also the throttle rides back like someone is pressing the gas down when no one is. I might have done something when i put the motor in or out. Maybe im missing a spring. I know this is alot but its real close to having this baby back on the road so any advice would be awesome.

Comment

• 1965TbirdMan
                        Apprentice
                        • Mar 17 2010

Well engine is running and got alot of the issues fixed. I need to fine tune the carb and maybe timing it likes to stall alittle when in gear. I am going to look in my book but does anyone have a good diagram for all the vacuum lines like where they run to and everything trying to get this baby running great and this seems like the next step

Comment

• redstangbob
                          Experienced
                          • Feb 18 2011

Check your email good luck, Bob C

Comment

• 1965TbirdMan
                            Apprentice
                            • Mar 17 2010

close again

Ok. Runnig good but when I press brake pedel down it doesn't want to come back all the way. No hole in line and has new lines and everything seemsprettt new on brakes all around. Wondering may alittle air in line? Brakes work they stop and have tension when pushing pedel just doesn't want to come back any ideas?

Comment

• redstangbob
                              Experienced
                              • Feb 18 2011

I had that problem before I pulled the booster for underhood restoration. I found the pivot pins behind the bracket really rusty. Try spraying the pivots in the bracket behind the booster. Good luck, Bob C

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎