X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cbnsingram
    Apprentice
    • Jan 25 2013

Sub Frame repair question

I am considering repairing a 1960 convertible floor and rockers with those from a donor 1958 sedan. After reading the document people refer to regarding conversion from a sedan to a convertible I get the impression that the 1958 sedan has much of the proper support built in to the sub-frame.

Is this correct? Has anyone done this particular donor transplant before?

Also, how about some detailed tips on doing this repair with steel so I can save the '58?

Thanks, Mike
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There is extra support on the inner rocker panel on a convertible. If you are just replacing the outer rocker you can use the parts from a hardtop. Without seeing pictures it's hard to tell how much work is required on your convertible. Replacement panels are available although they are not nearly as good as the factory panels and require quite a bit of massaging to get a good fit.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

This repair is common to Squarebirds. The rockers should be reinforced using a 2"x4"x1/8" thick steel channel from the front sub-frame to the rear. Simply weld it in place and it will be stronger than OEM.

Yes, Ford used thicker rocker steel and they reinforced it by stacking more pieces and spot welding them together on convertibles. Rather than going through all that, the rectangular tubing works even better and it is stronger than the original hard top and convertible rockers.

CLICK HERE for one of these conversions done recently. #3 & 4 pics show the channel, so you get the idea. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• cbnsingram
        Apprentice
        • Jan 25 2013

I see, so literally I can replace the inner rocker panels with 2x4 steel? very nice.

Yes the inners are in bad shape at the doors as is most of the floor. The supports that run left to right under the front seats need some chunks replaced. Should I be able to weld 2x4 inside those "humps" as well and then dress the tops with something? Hope that makes sense without a picture for now.

I'll send some of the scarry pictures in awhile. picasa choked on my massive upload this morning.

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

The 'hump' needs no further reinforcement. It's the side rails (rockers) that do most of the support. We have had Squarebirds rusted through so bad the doors wouldn't close from body sag.

If your rust is that extensive, get the body aligned to where you want it. Some restorers weld temporary struts in place just to keep things in the right place. Then weld your channel to solid steel at the front sub-frame and at the rear sub-frame. The floors can be shimmed and bolted or welded onto the channel.

So, floor pans, outer rocker skins, and channel. When done, it will last another fifty years.

There are more pictures from other members who did this job. Do a search for rocker panels or rocker channel or ... - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• lawyercalif
            Experienced
            • May 12 2011

I would suggest you read the whole thread on my rebuild of a 59 convertible.
            Simplyconnected referred you to it previously. Just do a search for Rust Be Gone or look for that thread under my username lawyercalif.

I brought a Michigan rust bucket back from the dead. If my car could be saved any TBird with similar problems can be saved.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by lawyercalif
              I would suggest you read the whole thread on my rebuild of a 59 convertible...
              I agree, and your convertible looks stunning. I like the pictures you took while doing your restoration. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• cbnsingram
                Apprentice
                • Jan 25 2013

I did indeed look at your thread and your car turned out beautifully. We will be going for a similar color I believe, can't remember if it is cashmere or another blue - but with the light/dark turqoise interior. I hope it all turns out 1/2 as nice as yours did.

Mike

Originally posted by lawyercalif
                I would suggest you read the whole thread on my rebuild of a 59 convertible.
                Simplyconnected referred you to it previously. Just do a search for Rust Be Gone or look for that thread under my username lawyercalif.

I brought a Michigan rust bucket back from the dead. If my car could be saved any TBird with similar problems can be saved.

Comment

• lawyercalif
                  Experienced
                  • May 12 2011

Thank you for the compliment. You have it right. It is "Cashmere Blue" a
                  58 Chevy color.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎